Melbourne Arms Convention.

red750

This won't go down well with 98% of you guys, but I lay much of the blame for the disgusting scenes in Melbourne at the foot of the governments, state and federal.

Such an emotive display should not have been held in a location right on the border of the CBD, where it was known a large collection of rabble would disrupt the access to the city for people wishing to go about their business. Such an exhibition or convention should have been held on a military base, where military police and soldiers could have kept control of the troublemakers.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, red750 said:

Such an emotive display should not have been held in a location right on the border of the CBD

Emotive or not, why would you want the hassles of the logistics of getting exhibits to such a location. Having major agricultural field days in Hyde Park Sydney or its equivalent in the other Capitals.

I bet the reason was that the big wigs could be accommodated in the fancy hotels in the CBD.

• Like 2

I don't know why you think most people would disagree with you Peter.

It's a weapons convention.  The general public is not going to buy them and in most cases has no interest in seeing them, therefore it should have been held, as you say, on a locked military base in the middle of woop woop with no publicity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

I don't know why you think most people would disagree with you Peter.

It's a weapons convention.  The general public is not going to buy them and in most cases has no interest in seeing them, therefore it should have been held, as you say, on a locked military base in the middle of woop woop with no publicity.

Its a business convention,

my boss is currently there - we are a machine shop, specializing in hydraulic manifolds.

nothing to do with buying arms - its all to do with networking with the defense contractors.

anything on display is there for eye candy - to showcase the companies abilities.

Its not an arms market like the media or protesters would have you believe.
no different to the mining conventions they hold in the cities.

• Informative 2

26 minutes ago, spenaroo said:

Its a business convention,

my boss is currently there - we are a machine shop, specializing in hydraulic manifolds.

nothing to do with buying arms - its all to do with networking with the defense contractors.

anything on display is there for eye candy - to showcase the companies abilities.

Its not an arms market like the media or protesters would have you believe.
no different to the mining conventions they hold in the cities.

I've bolded the appropriate bit.  Yes - defense contractors, defense procurement, a chance to get a defense contract.  

Regardless of the validity or not of the protester's claims,  the fact remains that protesters should have been anticipated so the choice of location would have made a difference.

• Like 2

True, but the success of these fairs is often decided by location. A two day trip to whoop whoop for a day's networking may see numbers drop off. If you host it in a secure military location, there may the slight issue of security clearances (admittedly, not on all military premises) and logistics making sure large numbers of people don't go poking their noses where they shouldn't; and also there is liability, etc, which I think (at least in the UK) operate differently to civilian law.

I agree with the aspirations of the protestors, but while there are nefarious actors out there, we have to realise we live in the real world. If you just look at Ukraine - imagine if they 9justifiably) wer sceptical of both the west and Russia in guaranteeing them their security that they retained and maintained their nuclear arsenal.. They way well still have Crimea (or they may well have gone the way Russia did and let it all go to pot, but the point is, Russia would have been far more cauious with picking a fight if they knew the odds were much more stacked against them).

• Like 2

The drop kicks shown in the news images just look like common riff riff that would protest against anything. If they love Palestine so much, piss off there and get off the dole here. See how long far their sh!t gets them there.

Real bullets might have been a better option, a more real experience for them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As a note to my above post. I don’t believe either side is blameless here,but the war mongering arms suppliers are the ones supplying both sides are getting fatter bank accounts with every shipment and the crap won’t stop until that is cut off. It’s like the smoking tax, if everyone quit the government here would go broke, so they play adds that don’t work to look like they want it work, but not really.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A stupid woman cemented herself in the back of her SUV parked on kingsway Bridge onramp.. The police pushed the car off the bridge and used a hammer drill to free her before arresting her. The stupud bitch should have been left there over the weekend through rain and hail, without food.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

if ,

Those cemented protesters.  Were left to the gods how would they have a toilet stop .

I wonder if the police would charge anyone that tried , to free them with accessory 

To a crime .

( whatever that crime is ) .

spacesailor