Australia's weak leadership

pmccarthy

3 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Our pathetic PM has again failed to show leadership on terrorism. God help us all if he is anywhere near Canberra when Australia comes under direct threat.

You may have to explain that context a bit more, how is he soft on terrorism?

• Like 1

Must be in the dog-whistling ones.  I just had a quick scan of ABC and The Guardian and the only thing I could find was Dutton desperately seeking relevance by accusing Albo of being weak by not condemning hezbollah for something.

The fact that he's actually running the country instead of looking for nits to pick probably accounts for that.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

While it is important that Australia has a good reputation on the world stage, I think that there are many more important things impacting domestic politics than some insoluble neighbour dispute far, far away, and in which we really have no reason to involve ourselves, apart from decrying the death, injury and destruction.

What a great leader would ay to Australian is this, "If you are a citizen of Australia, then your first concern should be what matters in Australia. Part of your philosophy might relate to the practise of a particular religion, but that is not 100% of you. Live by the tenets of your religion by all means, but Australia needs you to apply yourself to your secular life more than your spiritual life."

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I had a dose of religion today at a Catholic funeral. Lots of bells, incense, cross carrying and free biscuits on offer. I would have been a young man the last time I went to a Mass. I'd forgotten about all the ritual part of it.

• Informative 1

And I've never before seen a church that was part church, part shop. In the entry to the church you had to walk through rooms full of catholic merchandise for sale. All displayed on shelving and price tagged like a proper retail store. Two rooms full of sale goods.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Now that's a smoking ceremony I object to.

That's the trick, though, isn't it. A Welcome to Country ceremony with free biccies (preferaby Tim Tams :amazon:) and no one would complain 😉

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Blah. What with all that this wide brown land has to offer, our compatriot only wants to come home to get a chocolate coated biscuit made by a foreign company.

And which can be obtained where he presently lives.

(Sigh)

• Like 1

On 04/10/2024 at 8:27 AM, nomadpete said:

Blah. What with all that this wide brown land has to offer, our compatriot only wants to come home to get a chocolate coated biscuit made by a foreign company.

And which can be obtained where he presently lives.

(Sigh)

Oh, no... that is not all I come for... You see, I can only get traditional, salted caramel (yuk!) and dark (yuk!) Tim Tams here... I can't get white, chewy caramel, or double coat... So, I come to Aus for far more than I can get here :stirrer:

Not to mention, the fishing, better lifestyle, wine, food, scenery, travel without needing a passport, etc etc.

• Like 1

No " passport",  but beware of those " Agricultural " border checks ! .

Buy ' cheap ' groceries before leaving town , only to have all your fruit & veggies seized , then returned to the store , ready for the   next " grey-nomad " .

( they live in that town, so it must be the locals ) .

spacesailor

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Oh, no... that is not all I come for... You see, I can only get traditional, salted caramel (yuk!) and dark (yuk!) Tim Tams here... I can't get white, chewy caramel, or double coat... So, I come to Aus for far more than I can get here :stirrer:

Not to mention, the fishing, better lifestyle, wine, food, scenery, travel without needing a passport, etc etc.

Well I sympathise. Since it is such a life changing issue, howabout we pass the hat around, and post you a couple of packets of these treasured items.

We might save you ten grand on airfares!

(Not to mention saving you from spending a couple of mil on a new house)

• Like 1