Election 2016

old man emu

We pay all sorts of extras for all sorts of reasons which are "hidden" in the price of products. I never cease to be surprised by the ones which upset us and the ones we couldn't care less about, like Chicken McNuggets with a Heart Foundation tick.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know why we pay fat cats such obscene salaries? It is so common that it must relate to a defect in our wiring.

All I know is that I can't understand it. But I must be in a tiny minority or it wouldn't happen.

$489k for a school principal? wow

Most food items probably don't change due to certification. Vegemite is halal certified but the recipe hasn't changed; it ticks all the boxes by default. On the other hand, to keep their certification, McDonalds now microwave bacon so as not to contaminate the hotplate.

Or so I'm told. It might be just another conspiracy theory.

I'm sure that most foods would require no change to the content to be Halal, it's where the funds skimmed off for the certification go that is the issue. I don't care if a religious git blesses the food, I do care if they kill it inhumanely, and I do care if they demand funds be sent to help any religion keep going.

All I know is that I can't understand it. But I must be in a tiny minority or it wouldn't happen.

$489k for a school principal? wow

not sure about that figure, unless that is what a Principal gets in the private school system. Here are the pay levels for the NSW public system

"Beginning teachers in NSW public schools enjoy one of the highest commencing salaries of any profession. In 2013, four-year trained teachers start on a salary of $59,706. Salary increases are by annual increments subject to satisfactory performance, with our most experienced classroom teachers earning $89,050 in 2013.

Of course, our school leadership positions earn higher salaries, reflecting increased levels of responsibility. For example, our assistant principals and head teachers earn a base salary of $102,482 and primary and secondary deputy principals earn $119,654. A principal of a large high school earns up to $153,050. Read more about ourteachers' salaries and allowances."

Benefits and incentives - NSW Department of Education

I don't care if a religious git blesses the food, I do care if they kill it inhumanely, and I do care if they demand funds be sent to help any religion keep going.

Not seen what happens in an everyday Australian abattoir then? I have. It's grotesque, as is pretty much everything from the moment they get on the truck. Sure I'm still a meat-eater, but I've not seen evidence that anyone in the more intensive slaughter industry goes to any sort of effort to make it remotely describable as "humane". That's not to say true Halal slaughter is either.

Not seen what happens in an everyday Australian abattoir then? I have. It's grotesque, as is pretty much everything from the moment they get on the truck. Sure I'm still a meat-eater, but I've not seen evidence that anyone in the more intensive slaughter industry goes to any sort of effort to make it remotely describable as "humane". That's not to say true Halal slaughter is either.

Grew up on a farm, well aware of what goes on in an abattoir, just think that it's obscene, that everyone has to follow certain rules, but you can claim your religion requires that you don't have to comply with the rules and that makes it OK. (see posts 241 & 244)

Grew up on a farm, well aware of what goes on in an abattoir, just think that it's obscene, that everyone has to follow certain rules, but you can claim your religion requires that you don't have to comply with the rules and that makes it OK. (see posts 241 & 244)

It is interesting that people are concerned about Halal but don't seem to be as concerned about Kosher

Halal and kosher slaughter - Facts - Aussie Abattoirs | Slaughterhouses, killing animals for human consumption

It is interesting that people are concerned about Halal but don't seem to be as concerned about Kosher

Halal and kosher slaughter - Facts - Aussie Abattoirs | Slaughterhouses, killing animals for human consumption

The point seems to have been missed....I don't care whether it's Halal or Kosher, but I do care about the hypocrisy of bleeding hearts that demand humane treatment of animals, also condone inhumane (by their own standard) treatment to appease religious w*nk. Why even have the rules if you can be exempt because your particular sky fairy demands it?

The funds syphoned off the Halal certification process I think may be the main issue that the media are deliberately missing. (see post 239)

The point seems to have been missed....I don't care whether it's Halal or Kosher, but I do care about the hypocrisy of bleeding hearts that demand humane treatment of animals, also condone inhumane (by their own standard) treatment to appease religious w*nk. Why even have the rules if you can be exempt because your particular sky fairy demands it?

The funds syphoned off the Halal certification process I think may be the main issue that the media are deliberately missing. (see post 239)

I wasn't commenting about what you think but what seems to get most attention, I have not heard anyone mention Kosher in the media. In terms of where the certification money goes, this has been looked at before. http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/parliamentary-inquiry-finds-no-link-between-halal-certification-and-terrorism-and-food-prices-increases/news-story/e616c74cc219628776eb70df9cb713cf

Here is the full parliamentary report Report – Parliament of Australia

Believe me as a militant atheist I have no inclination to give halal or kosher a free kick but as far as I can see there does not seem to be any solid evidence that halal money fund terrorism, if there is I would be the first to complain.

From Jo Thornely's funny take on Pauline Hanson's policies:

MAKE ISLAM ADMIT IT’S NOT A RELIGION

It’s quite obvious that under Sharia law, Islam’s main goal is to make non-Muslims feel like second-class citizens in the country they were bloody born in, which is just wrong. One Nation knows that feeling like second-class citizens should be reserved for Muslims and other people who refuse to learn the language or eat proper food.

The problem is, the Constitution says you can’t legislate to prohibit the free exercise of religion, so the

[/url]solution is simple

: make Islam admit that it’s NOT a religion, it’s a “totalitarian political system”, so we can legislate against it.

Did you know that mosques don’t pay tax, and that Islam is a religion that wants to dictate how we live our lives? Disgusting. What does it think it is, the Catholic Church?

"We will enact the following:

• Call for an inquiry or Royal Commission to determine if Islam is a religion or political ideology"

From the One Nation website. That's right. Vote for Pauline Hanson to spend $50 million of taxpayer's money (the average cost of a Royal Commission) with the sole purpose of determining whether or not Islam is a religion or a political ideology. And she should be careful what she wishes for, because if they happened to redefine either "religion" or "political ideology" there might be many groups caught in her drag-net which she hadn't anticipated! Just reading it makes my head spin.

• Ban Halal certification. ........Companies may comply for export but no monies must be paid

Right. So her official party policy is to ban it, but not ban it. Excellent.

• Driver’s licence cannot be obtained without showing the full face and having photo ID on driver’s licence

So....her policy is to legislate something which is already legislated in every State. That's incisively brilliant. Wonder how many hours she worked on that policy?

Yep Space, 53 million is over 100 times more obscene than 1/2 million. I don't mind that sort of money being made from a successful business though. But an overblown bank clerk and schoolteacher? wow

Back to the election, it was Howard and Abbott who were to blame for the fact that nobody believed Turnbull when he said he wasn't planning to privatize medicare. The more Turnbull denied it the more he sounded like his predecessors who both did convincing lies before their elections. So Abbott should be the one to resign. Howard is well gone of course.

I wonder how many voters believed Turnbull when he said the reason for the double dissolution was that the Libs couldn't get the building trades enquiry past the senate. That was not the reason, it was just what he wanted as a trigger. The reason was to gain control of the senate and it backfired.

There has just been the release of an enquiry into the Iraque war in Britain. Some interesting findings including the british PM had told Bush that he was with him all the way, whatever happened. Of course our politicians were not like the Brits, The PM had his nose up Bush's ass so far that he couldn't see right from wrong and Abbot and Turnbull were queing up to join him.

I wouldn't believe anything any of our pollies say. Just work it out for myself.

Yes Yenn, the only people in Australia who pretended to believe the weapons of mass destruction stuff were the liberals.

They did a good job keeping their true opinions hidden. Well its better to go down as a fool than as a war criminal.

Is this mildly amusing story I've just recieved via email BS ? I don't usually watch Ch9 so I don't know the bloke.

( Sorry about the text formatting, but I couldn't be assed to fix it. . . )

'During the weekend's Australian

election TV coverage, people

wondered why Laurie Oakes (a

well-known Canberra journo who

appeared on the Nine Network's

coverage) was changing his tie

so often.

Turns out that Oakes had found

out about a site that was taking

bets on the colour of his tie

for election night, so he wore

one for every option the bookies

offered odds on (yellow, blue,

black, green, red or any other

colour)

As a result, everyone who

placed a bet got a payout.

Something for David Dimbleby ( UK TV presenter of 'Question Time' a weekly political comedy show with a live audience )

to consider if we get a snap

general election here.

What you've always wanted. . . . here is an easy way to check if your local politician is being truthful as he talks out of his Ass. . . .

5.5mm USB Endoscope Camera for Android Phone Tablet PC

Waterproof Inspection Borescope with 6 LED Lights. . . . $11.06

[ATTACH]47939._xfImport[/ATTACH]

(150 Ml bottle of Baby Oil for painless insertion of probe. . . . $1.99 )

>

661768982_PhoneEndoscope.thumb.jpg.491ddcc6ff1fb53fce31032141dd718e.jpg

Is this mildly amusing story I've just recieved via email BS ? I don't usually watch Ch9 so I don't know the bloke.

It is true Phil.

Laurie Oakes is a veteran and well respected Australian political commentator whom I've heard slam both sides of politics at various times when they deserve it. He's respected by politicians as an interviewer too.

He got wind of bookmakers taking bets on his tie colour on election night, so in his own words decided he would be the "punter's protector" against the bookies.

When asked by his co-hosts about what was going on later in the evening, he replied

"Sportsbet ran a bet on what colour tie I would wear in the election telecast — there were six choices: yellow, blue, black, green, gold or any other colour, so I thought “why should anyone miss out?” and wore all six colours."

If I had a say, betting debts would be unenforceable. I bet ( on account of course ) that being unable to enforce payment would slow the sharks down.

This is just another example of out lack of democracy, as I reckon a referendum on the matter would confirm this idea.

What you've always wanted. . . . here is an easy way to check if your local politician is being truthful as he talks out of his Ass. . . .

5.5mm USB Endoscope Camera for Android Phone Tablet PC

Waterproof Inspection Borescope with 6 LED Lights. . . . $11.06

[ATTACH=full]44188[/ATTACH]

(150 Ml bottle of Baby Oil for painless insertion of probe. . . . $1.99 )

>

The Vapors were well ahead of their time when they released "Turning Japanese" in 1980...

"I want the doctor / to take a picture / so I can look at you from inside as well..."