Republican win

Yenn

That's the 1st Amendment (free speech, religion etc).

2nd Amendment is that Jim-Bob and Billy-Ray in the back of a pickup truck with 2 Armalites and 6000 rounds of ammo going on a 'gator shoot constitutes a "well organised militia" and thus have a right to bear arms.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the 1st Amendment (free speech, religion etc).

2nd Amendment is that Jim-Bob and Billy-Ray in the back of a pickup truck with 2 Armalites and 6000 rounds of ammo going on a 'gator shoot constitutes a "well organised militia" and thus have a right to bear arms.

What's wrong with bear arms you commie?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well, if it were a straight count of votes he wouldn't have won. Clinton got more actual votes than Trump (hey is that Yorkshire for one's bottom?) - so if the US election were run the same way as your Brexit vote the result would've been different.

I kind of sympathise with the people protesting that "he's not my president".

Yet if it was the other way around they'd be telling Trump supporters "that's democra.....democrac.....demowcrasss.......something y'alllllllll"

I feel sorry for the Yanks not voting for the other candidates and really shaking up the system. Libertarian chap sounded pretty good and was preferable to the two loons promoted by the media.

Our instant political loyalty to every USA conflict makes me cringe.

It's not a good look to be sucking up to the global bully - in the naieve belief that they will look after us if we get into trouble. As if they ever would.

(Sorry for bringing naieve 'beliefs' into the thread)

Something I learnt in life is this:

"No matter how bad things look right now, it can always get worse."

I hope the next president isn't actually worse (and meanwhile hope that Trump's radical talk was just a kind of meaningless electioneering sledging)-

there are already too many ex presidents who gave the impression that 'it couldn't get worse'.

and meanwhile hope that Trump's radical talk was just a kind of meaningless electioneering sledging

People seem to forget, either conveniently or you're just unaware of democracy, that any decisions have to go through an approval process through The Senate and The House be passed into law.

Floor Debate

• A released bill (proposed new law) eventually goes to the House or Senate floor, for further debate and amendment, if necessary. It passes or fails by a simple majority vote: 218 of 435 in the House or 51 of 100 in the Senate. Once passed, it repeats the process in the other house.

Law

• The speaker of the house and vice president sign the enrolled bill, followed by the President, who has 10 days to sign or veto it. A vetoed bill can still become law if two-thirds of the Senate and two-thirds of the House then vote to pass it.

It's a bit hard to figure out the best voting system to fit the title of democracy.

China is pretty good, long process though.

Say 5 candidates are voted for, lowest number is out. Process starts all over again with 4 candidates etc, 'til only 2 are standing.

This starts out at village level, winners go to city level, county, province, etc, and then National.

Same process is used along the way for law making and knowing the needs of 1.3 billion people.

Kind of interesting, that electoral college system. Guess it's a bit like the federal electorates here. Does seem a bit odd that all people are not equal when it comes to the value of your vote.

I did suggest to someone today that we have an immigration swap scheme for Democrat voters that want to emigrate to Australia - if we brought them over here and sent our Hanson voters over there, everyone would be happier and the average IQ of both countries would rise...

...then I saw this plan in the ABC... Dear sad Americans, forget Canada - come to Tasmania

The most bizarre thing regarding the Electoral College is the number of times the electors, who are supposed to cast their votes to select the President in accordance with the results of the election, have changed their mind and cast a vote for someone else (which the people didn't vote for)! Admittedly this hasn't actually ever changed the result because the Electoral College margin has been too great. Also on one occasion many years back an elector did a ring-around to other electors before the Electoral College convened to vote for President and asked them to change their votes (although fortunately they didn't)!

The other thing is the winner-take-all allocation of Electoral College votes. Like Pennsylvania with its 20 Electoral College votes. Doesn't matter if the popular vote there is Trump 2,000,000 and Hillary 1,999,999. The votes for President in the College are not then distributed 11 to 10. Trump gets all 20 of them!

So the end result is a somewhat distorted image of reality, such as the rubbish I got in my news feed today reposted by a friend, claiming it was a "landslide victory to Trump". I pointed out that the popular vote in fact favoured Hillary Clinton. If you count the Electoral College vote though, it is a comfortable Trump victory. They basically said "so Trump won easily, but more people actually voted for Clinton?" I said "yep, exactly". That messed with their mind a bit.

Yes we are seeing how this works in Hong Kong.

Yeah, it's absolutely unique to China ... University students march against budget cuts

Anyway, when you take any office in Australia, America, Uk, or just about any country in the world, you swear allegiance to that country.

These 2 refused to swear allegiance, they don't get in, it's that simple. Don't know why you can't understand that, or did you merely miss that bit.

Sadly the 23 year old does get in, would you like a 23 year old fresh out of Uni with no real world experience in your Government? .... and you know why the 23 year old gets in? Democratically elected, just like the other 3, but 2 of them are smart enough to work with the system to get change.

Your hate of pagan China, because no religion and that they won't let you and your mates in to convert anyone, is well known, but you need to talk facts rather than blindly looking for any hate subject matter, which I'm sure is against your religion, if you want to elicit discussion.

I'll leave you with a thought, the Chinese Cultural Revolution that went for 10 years and killed millions, was basically because the country was left to teenagers and men in their young 20's, many still in school, to decide the fate of the country, after one of the most grotesque and murderous social experiments in human history, I'm even gobsmacked a 23 and 25 year old can get elected today. I will look up the min. age for election on the Mainland out of interest.

Hitler was 45 when he became Chancellor. He was 57 when his plans were abruptly cut short in his bunker.

Stalin was 44 when he became General Secretary of the Communist Party and still murdering into his 70s.

Just as well we leave politics to the more mature adults, eh?

Your hate of pagan China, because no religion and that they won't let you and your mates in to convert anyone, is well known, but you need to talk facts rather than blindly looking for any hate subject matter, which I'm sure is against your religion, if you want to elicit discussion.

Haha just the opposite Bex, just the opposite. I am very pro-Chinese people, have many Chinese friends and I really want the nation to succeed. Besides there are a significant percentage of Christians in China now, you can despise them but they certainly aren't the problem.

As always, interesting the read the party line. Presumably the missing booksellers were immature kids that just couldn't agree to say the right thing too... shame how some people value their freedom so much.

Just as well we leave politics to the more mature adults, eh?

Indeed. Not so long ago the young folk in China were so immature they tried to stand in front of tanks and bullets. Bex hates this stuff. (Yes I am familiar with the official line on this). Basically every problem that exists in China today has been caused by the West.

Haha just the opposite Bex, just the opposite. I am very pro-Chinese people, have many Chinese friends and I really want the nation to succeed.

Avoided saying you admire China itself of course. By "succeed" of course you see conversion chances.

Besides there are a significant percentage of Christians in China now, you can despise them but they certainly aren't the problem.

Despise? No idea what you are on about, some of my best, literally family, Chinese friends are Christians holding services weekly. Families company name is "Gospel" with one of their sub-companies named "Wings". Luke is a great friend and his Son, Noah is my honorary Nephew.

I still think they are nutcases for believing in some magical sky fairy and happily tell them.

BTW, What has 2 wings and a halo? A Chinese telephone, Wing-wing, halo?

As always, interesting the read the party line. .

Yeah, me calling the cultural revolution grotesque and murderous is definitely a Party line..

Let me know when you come over next preaching so I can have you kicked out, I have to admit that is one Party line I like.