Republican win

Yenn

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Professor Allan Lichtman, the guy who has correctly predicted election outcomes for 30 years (including against the polls) has a somewhat different point of view, and a fascinating follow-up prediction.

It is true though that the Dems and the Republicans are broken parties (Republicans arguably more so which is kinda ironic given their guy won) who have fallen out of touch, and that Clinton did herself no favours at all.

Lichtman Prediction

"I'm going to make another prediction," he said. "This one is not based on a system, it's just my gut. They don't want Trump as president, because they can't control him. He's unpredictable. They'd love to have Pence - an absolutely down the line, conservative, controllable Republican. And I'm quite certain Trump will give someone grounds for impeachment, either by doing something that endangers national security or because it helps his pocketbook."

I'm not entirely sure that article is a particularly "balanced" viewpoint.

None of the articles from conservative bastion publications which are seething and frothing towards the media, celebrities, etc have even attempted to get the points made by Lichton regarding the key factors which influence US elections throughout history and which he correctly predicted yet again (and he's actually a Democrat).

Palin given any sort of power? The inmates have well and truly taken over the asylum!

I feel for normal secular Americans, the ones who actually got out and voted against the republicans.

As much as I hope this election is a cautionary tale for the rest of the world, I fear that the extreme right is in ascendancy all over the place. Not a good time for progress.

The proposed Secretary for Education, Ben Carson, says "I come from God, not from monkeys." He's African American.

Sad, isn't it. Let's hope there's enough teachers of integrity to counter him, if indeed he does get that post and attempts to impose his personal beliefs on the biology curriculum.

Hahahahahahaha the bigots and racists are weeping and gnashing their teeth! spacer.png

bigoted??? you're the one who seems to hate anyone who does not believe what you believe. I have plenty of christian friends that I like and respect although we may disagree about many things we still respect each other. Can I ask if you hate all atheists (and anyone else who believes something different to you)? You are the one seems to spewing bigotry and intolerance.

I did suggest to someone today that we have an immigration swap scheme for Democrat voters that want to emigrate to Australia - if we brought them over here and sent our Hanson voters over there, everyone would be happier and the average IQ of both countries would rise...

...then I saw this plan in the ABC... Dear sad Americans, forget Canada - come to Tasmania

On the surface it sounds like a good idea, but, what happens when they get there and have to rely on welfare because the greens have stamped out virtually all industry in Tassy?

RE: protests in US .....I just love the way the lefties preach tolerance until something doesn't go their way. Only then do we see the real nature of the beast we are dealing with.

On the surface it sounds like a good idea, but, what happens when they get there and have to rely on welfare because the greens have stamped out virtually all industry in Tassy?

RE: protests in US .....I just love the way the lefties preach tolerance until something doesn't go their way. Only then do we see the real nature of the beast we are dealing with.

Wasn't the Greens who broke the forest peace deal. But there's plenty of sustainable, high-value-add opportunities down here, especially with lower property prices than most other states.

Hahahahahahaha the bigots and racists are weeping and gnashing their teeth! spacer.png

And only another 8 years of self flagellation to go! spacer.png

Maintain the smug, folks!

8 years? Bit optimistic there. I think the bigots and racists are cheering because their ringleader just got voted in... and they're the ones with the smug. (Hmmm anagram of "mugs"... coincidence?)

There were a number of documented cases of conservatives threatening to take up arms if Trump didn't win. One prominent one was a former Republican congressman. I saw an interview with another where he was quite blunt about it. Guess it's kinda lucky we didn't get to see whether it was just hot air!

bigoted???

I guess that's Gnu? I put him on ignore again a couple of posts ago while he goes through his frustrated god cycle and back into a normal guy cycle, when he's actually a funny guy.

I once worked along side a born again for 3 years, ex-biker, the internal struggle back and forth between enjoying life and appeasing god was something to be seen. Great guy, but sadly god didn't reach down and stop the guy in a Corolla doing an illegal U-Turn and cleaned him up (motorcycle, Mt Glorious), possibly he was enjoying life too much and had to be punished for it.

Glancing at the NSW Daily Telegraph today, I saw that the the incoming Secretary for the Interior is to be Sarah Palin.

That would be hard to believe, gee it's hard to not think that woman must have done some horizontal miles with a few leading figures to get the grace she has, how could it be anything but that reason.

If true, at least the position is probably the tamest one of them all, literally all title and publicity shoots, and little could go wrong.

But then again .... spacer.png

Simple, divert ALL refugees to Tasmania to create employment opportunities. Per head of population, Tasmania is "Green'est" and most Left mouthy about refugee intake, so let them put their money where their mouths are.

Plenty of land, even deserted properties, and welcoming open arms - apparently.

BTW, I am deadly serious.

You haven't seen the full force yet, Brexit will likely be reversed, and I would expect many uprisings against Trump throughout his term - even before decisions are even made.

If he really stuffs it up, fair's fair, roast him over the coals, but it won't be fair, nor democratic.

Yes we are seeing how this works in Hong Kong.

Hey Gnarly, or anyone else for that matter, did you see Hong Kong today with the 50,000 people protest march against ..

.. that's AGAINST, indepedence for Hong Kong?

Bet you can't find that in mainstream news. I just Googled it and nothing, what a surprise.

Sorry, just changed terms and got one major, the BBC, mind you that's BBC's "China" category ...

Hong Kong: Large pro-China rally against independence - BBC News

Simple, divert ALL refugees to Tasmania to create employment opportunities. Per head of population, Tasmania is "Green'est" and most Left mouthy about refugee intake, so let them put their money where their mouths are.

Plenty of land, even deserted properties, and welcoming open arms - apparently.

BTW, I am deadly serious.

You haven't seen the full force yet, Brexit will likely be reversed, and I would expect many uprisings against Trump throughout his term - even before decisions are even made.

If he really stuffs it up, fair's fair, roast him over the coals, but it won't be fair, nor democratic.

Yeah but how many "fair trade" coffee shops and such can the place support. You pretty much can't even fart in Tassie without greenie approval, nothing is going to happen there.spacer.png

Refugees, sorry illegal imigrants?...not with my taxes.

There were a number of documented cases of conservatives threatening to take up arms if Trump didn't win. One prominent one was a former Republican congressman. I saw an interview with another where he was quite blunt about it. Guess it's kinda lucky we didn't get to see whether it was just hot air!

I'm sure there were, but they aren't the ones preaching tolerance.

The anti-bigot left are some of the worst bigots I've ever seen.

I'm sure there were, but they aren't the ones preaching tolerance.The anti-bigot left are some of the worst bigots I've ever seen.

My experience is quite different. I know a number of lefties and many more righties. Of the lefties, I can never recall anything bigoted from them and they're pretty despondent at the pointless anti-Trump street protests. But I admit I don't personally know anyone who is on the extreme left. I'm pretty sure I don't personally know anyone on the extreme right either. I would find it impossible to be friends with anyone on either extreme.

I flew with a guy not long ago who turned to me and said, unsolicited (don't even know how it came up), "I just cannot believe in this day and age there are people still dumb enough to vote Labour. These people are really, really thick." I didn't vote Labour or the Greens so I just sat there and shutup silently thinking he was a douchebag. But it's clearly not true to say or imply that type of attitude is unique to the left.

I wasn't suggesting that it was unique to the left. Just the hypocrisy of the left, preaching tolerance, then abandoning any tolerance when things don't go their way. The right don't preach tolerance, so no hypocrisy when they don't want to be tolerant.

As far as your acquaintance and Labour voters, there are a few people on here who speak disparagingly of Lib or Hanson supporters, are they douchebags too? Maybe he had just finished reading about the crap Bill Shorten gets away with and was feeling a bit disturbed.

I know I feel my blood pressure rising every time I hear him (Billy) speak.

.. that's AGAINST, indepedence for Hong Kong?

Lenin knew all about useful idiots. Same with the leftist thugs violently protesting against democracy in the USA.

As the residents of Venezuela found out you can democratically vote for a dictator - or to give your leader dictatorial powers - but it only works in one direction, the reverse isn't a thing.

As the residents of Venezuela found out you can democratically vote for a dictator.

You seem confused, it's a small minority trying to force their views upon an already established majority, i.e. 6 of some 430. The other 420+ were freely and democratically elected by 50% of the people who turned out making those 6 seats even less impressive as likely near 100% of their supporters turned out, but 6 of 430 is a minor issue when we are talking about big bad Beijing of course.

I could note it more seriously if 90% of their voters weren't children, still in school, and led by a 23 year old. "Change!" when do we won't it, oh look free ice cream, YAY!!!

I wasn't suggesting that it was unique to the left. Just the hypocrisy of the left, preaching tolerance, then abandoning any tolerance when things don't go their way. The right don't preach tolerance, so no hypocrisy when they don't want to be tolerant.As far as your acquaintance and Labour voters, there are a few people on here who speak disparagingly of Lib or Hanson supporters, are they douchebags too?

If you say a voter is "dumb" simply because they vote for a given party, yeah you're being a bit of a douche. Including Liberal or Hanson.

Now if they say "I'm voting for the Liberals because I heard they're going to give everyone who has a baby in the next 12 months a free car" then yeah I'd say that moves into the realm of being dumb.

Personally I speak very disparagingly of pollies like Roberts (especially) and Hanson because they've said some pretty stupid things, in my opinion. But they're pollies. Many others have too. They're fair game. Same for Shorten. Same for Hanson-Young. If you're a supporter and you say something dumb, you're fair game but to a slightly lesser extent. By that I mean everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but the same rules that allow you to have one also allow other people to criticise it and call it what they think it is. If it gives people hurty feelings to have their opinions heavily criticised, that's a bit of bad luck.

However if you're a supporter, being called a moron only because you're a supporter (ie, in the absence of having actually expressed any points of view you could be criticised on) is douche-like behaviour, yes.