Republican win

Yenn

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/grace-collier/us-presidentelect-donald-trumps-manifesto-creates-tax-haven/news-story/bbbf2c7ce11bb991312d3781e884666e

Cut and paste if link doesn't work

For media commentators like me, it is best to write from a position of knowledge rather than ignorance, prejudice and groupthink. This is the least readers are owed.

And so I did something hardly any commentators have done. I bought a copy of Donald Trump’s book Great Again: How to Fix Our Crippled America and read it.

Everyone is encouraged to do the same. You won’t regret it, I promise. The book is illuminating, fantastic and terrifying. It is the best political book I have read.

Recently, a friend saw the book lying on a side table, at home. “Oh, but Trump is a racist, bigot, homophobe and sexist,” she exclaimed in horror.

“Meh — whatever,” I replied.

Maybe Trump is, and maybe Trump isn’t, but would it matter even if he were? Not to you and me it wouldn’t. We need to get past this puerile name-calling. I don’t care what Trump is, I care what Trump does.

This is why I think it is important to examine what the new US president-elect says he is going to do, by reading Great Again, which outlines his policy intentions.

If Australians are to believe any of it — and there is no reason not to — then Trump represents a threat to us all. Rest assured, though, none of us needs to worry our delicate little heads about discrimination, bullying, bigoted homophobic abuse or being groped on the you-know-what — I can guarantee Trump will grope none of you on the you-know-what.

Yes, Trump is going to hurt us all, and hurt us badly, but not in the way many may think. Trump is going to hurt Australia by making America great again.

When America is great again, and this will happen quickly — in fact, it is already happening and Trump hasn’t even taken office — Australia will be left behind. We will be like the pub no one drinks at any more, the once-popular restaurant everyone shuns. America will be like the shiny new joint just around the corner, with amazing decor, stunning food, incredible service, cheaper drinks; we won’t be able to compete.

The markets know it, American companies know it, their citizens know it, yet we still haven’t realised.

Now is the time for people to wake up. Our politicians need a reality check; someone better put a plan together.

Next, a “trigger warning” for all those who think the solution to every problem is to raise tax or introduce a new one. Here is some bad news, snowflakes: there are lots of people here who own small to medium businesses, and/or have capital; these people provide jobs, have driven the housing boom and are propping up our economy. They don’t have to be here. When America is great again a lot of them will leave and go over there. Trump is going to change taxation and immigration laws for the purposes of enticing them. No one can stop them from going, but we need them to stay.

Trump is going to cut corporate tax from 35 per cent to 15 per cent, and slash personal tax rates, too. The highest income tax rate will be 25 per cent, and the first $25,000 earned per person will be entirely tax exempt. When this happens, and it will happen very quickly — many people will take their capital, and bolt. Or they will live here for half the year but set up businesses over there, and make those businesses the owner of their businesses here. The profits will go offshore, even if some of the people don’t, and there is nothing our government can do about it.

Tim Andrews, executive director of the Australian Taxpayers’ Alliance, agrees wholeheartedly.

“If Trump gets his way, Australia will be left as one of the highest business taxers in the world, forcing businesses here to shut their doors and send jobs overseas.

The government needs to take action on urgent tax reform to stop tax refugees fleeing Australia.”

Our prospective tax refugees may be foreigners or native Aussies; regardless, they are people who can base themselves anywhere in the world. Any country will have them, especially Trump’s America; he wants people with money, who will start businesses, invest and create jobs for Americans.

Trump says, “Our current immigration laws are upside down — they make it tough on the people we need to have here and easy for the people we don’t want here.”

He is going to reverse that and will make it easier for people who can “contribute to this country” to move there.

Troy Lanigan, Canadian chairman of the World Taxpayers Association, agrees. He says, “People and capital can move. All jurisdictions are in competition for people and money. Tax competition imposes discipline on governments to be more efficient.”

Government efficient? Now that is a novel idea. The people in Canberra should try it and significantly cut taxes before it is too late and Trumpageddon is upon us.

I am rolling on the floor here.

So Grace Collier reads Trump's book, and believes it?

Not only that, the take-home message is that when the US cuts tax rates then everyone will desert Australia because ours are so high?

Wonder how much the BCA paid for that article.

Trump changes his story in the course of a single day. There have been instances where he's tweeted some bizarre view in the morning and literally done a 180 later in the day. How could anyone believe anything he says? Or that he's capable, not only of formulating policy, but seeing it through the arduous process of getting it through Congress?

Good joke M61.

Not having read Trump's book, I can't comment on what the philosophy is that is expounded in it. However, Collier is right in saying that before we concentrate on a leader's foibles, we should find out what the leader really thinks.

Reminds me of a book written by an Austrian just after WWI. In public appearances, the author was able to make his countrymen believe he was going to save their current woes and future prosperity, and preserve the peace won at such a cost in human lives a few years previously. Anyone who had read his book had prior warning of how things would come to pass.

Trump didn't melt down the silver spoon he was born with. In fact, he added to the set. That indicates he has some financial nous. One of the prime requirements of a government is to better the conditions under which its people live.

The US of A is supposed to be the Land of Opportunity. Trump has been handed his opportunity. It is up to him whether he makes good with it, or drops the ball at the ruck.

OME

Marty & FT, a couple of weeks ago the majority of media thought the very idea that Trump could be elected was laughable....well keep laughing. They guy has just as much chance of doing something worthwhile as Hillary. I really don't think a whole lot will change, but I'm not dismissive, and I really hope that he can make some positive changes. That said, what you and I call worthwhile are probably at opposite ends of the spectrum.

before we concentrate on a leader's foibles, we should find out what the leader really thinks.

Personally I would not employ someone who has said the things Trump has, I would think that there must be a more honorable candidate for the job.

Trump didn't melt down the silver spoon he was born with. In fact, he added to the set. That indicates he has some financial nous. One of the prime requirements of a government is to better the conditions under which its people live.

Not all of his ventures have been successful Donald Trump's 13 Biggest Business Failures

Apart from that it seems to me that running a successful business is so much easier than running a country. I have spent the last 26 years running my own business and one thing I know is that, to put it quite crudely, the aim of most business is to expend the minimum costs and effort to gain the most profit from only those that can afford the service being provided (not exactly how I operate but I don't make huge sums of money and I suppose would be considered a bleeding heart leftie luvvie).

I can't quite see how business prowess is particularly advantageous in running the military or the health system or a justice system.

It is very easy to make promises for instance make America great again without having to define what this means in practice or when was it last great (the 90s the 80s 50 years ago???)

We now see Trump distancing himself from many of his promises because I suspect he may be finding that governing is actually more complicated and nuanced than his pre election rhetoric would suggest.

How will he go? It is a brave person who makes predictions. Since Trump comfortably won the Presidency and the Republicans will comfortably control both houses and Trump gets to change the flavour of the supreme court there will be no excuse for not making America great (whatever that means) building a wall and making Mexico pay for it, destroying ISIS etc.

Don't forget all those Republicans who called him out for his bigotry and racism...

And certainly don't forget all the bigots that got upset when he won...actually, I call out pretty much all the lefties for their racism and bigotry.

That's why I laugh at that article M61... not because I assume I know what Trump will do, but because no one, including the man himself, knows what he's going to do.

My personal prediction is that it's going to be a scary 4 years, I may be totally wrong - as someone recently said, the US Constitution wasn't drafted assuming that all Presidents would be good, it assumed some would be the reverse.

Why do you think he would be worse than Hillary. I am just hoping that his presidency will cause our politicians to think before tyey sign up to do everything the US wants. The end of the Pan Pacific partnership will be no loss to us.

Why do you think he would be worse than Hillary. I am just hoping that his presidency will cause our politicians to think before tyey sign up to do everything the US wants. The end of the Pan Pacific partnership will be no loss to us.

There are one or two bright spots to him winning and the ditching of the TPP is definitely one.

However in answer to your first question, for all her faults Hillary is an experienced diplomat and politician who, even if she didn't improve things markedly, at least wouldn't make them worse.

As we've seen today, The Donald just thumbed his nose at China, probably accidentally, by taking a call from Taiwan's leader. He doesn't take advice from the State department. (Or anyone else, by the looks of it.)

I just hope the other arms of the government can keep him in check, or at least his worst ideas.

Not a way to enhance credibility in your apparent comparisons of the evilness of the left versus the natural wholesome goodness of the right.

Well, They way our loud, public, left have been behaving hasn't gone unnoticed. While they abuse and physically assault those that they disagree with, they are bigots. They are intolerant in the extreme of the opinions conflicting with theirs, and as they preach tolerance, that makes the hypocrites too.

I also think that Noel Pearson is on the money with has scathing assessment of the ABC. They, and their loud supporters are racist, they discriminate by race, they hold people to a lower standard because of their race. They're a condescending bunch of racists.

Well, They way our loud, public, left have been behaving hasn't gone unnoticed. While they abuse and physically assault those that they disagree with, they are bigots. They are intolerant in the extreme of the opinions conflicting with theirs, and as they preach tolerance, that makes the hypocrites too.I also think that Noel Pearson is on the money with has scathing assessment of the ABC. They, and their loud supporters are racist, they discriminate by race, they hold people to a lower standard because of their race. They're a condescending bunch of racists.

"Physically assault"?

I think the reason Noel Pearson gave the ABC a scathing assessment was because they dared to report his verbal abuse of others. While I think the man is a brilliant orator I also think he has a wee bit of anger management issues going on.

So what I'm saying is that you seem to be blaming the "left" for....... well almost everything.

Way too many flies around at the moment. Yeah well if the left hadn't <insert some inane reason here> it wouldn't be a problem.

Racism: racism is generally rooted in nationalism all over the world. Look for the most extreme nationalism, and you'll find the virulent racists. They go hand in hand because the default position of extreme nationalists is "we are better than anyone from anywhere else, and they are much lower on the food chain than us".

Bigotry: intolerance of other people's opinions is neither unique to the left or the right. The exact same people who, in some cases quite rightly, criticise the "left" for being intolerant of other opinions are themselves intolerant of other opinions! Watch conservative commentators being interviewed or chatting on their own shows, Literally every single thing anyone on the left side of politics says is dumb, stupid, "self-loathing" (despite considering myself not entirely stupid, I don't even understand what that actually means, but it's a term exclusively popularised by conservative commentators), idiotic, etc. Literally.....every.....single......thing. So that's "How To Be Tolerant Of Other People's Opinions 101" is it?

Hypocrisy: Not unique to either the left or the right, but more commonly these days you get hypocrites accusing others of being hypocritical, which kinda makes my head spin.

"Physically assault"?

I think the reason Noel Pearson gave the ABC a scathing assessment was because they dared to report his verbal abuse of others. While I think the man is a brilliant orator I also think he has a wee bit of anger management issues going on.

Yes, physical assault. The pics the other day of Roz Ward, (anti-bullying campaigner) bullying some guy because he was wearing a Trump t-shirt, and while I'm not Pauline's biggest fan, One Nation has a right to meet, without these clowns threatening to hurt people if they dare get together.

If I was Noel Pearson, I'd be angry too, I think he has a right to be angry, I also think they need to consider the possibility that he's correct in what he has said.

So what I'm saying is that you seem to be blaming the "left" for....... well almost everything.

Way too many flies around at the moment. Yeah well if the left hadn't <insert some inane reason here> it wouldn't be a problem.

Racism: racism is generally rooted in nationalism all over the world. Look for the most extreme nationalism, and you'll find the virulent racists. They go hand in hand because the default position of extreme nationalists is "we are better than anyone from anywhere else, and they are much lower on the food chain than us".

Bigotry: intolerance of other people's opinions is neither unique to the left or the right. The exact same people who, in some cases quite rightly, criticise the "left" for being intolerant of other opinions are themselves intolerant of other opinions! Watch conservative commentators being interviewed or chatting on their own shows, Literally every single thing anyone on the left side of politics says is dumb, stupid, "self-loathing" (despite considering myself not entirely stupid, I don't even understand what that actually means, but it's a term exclusively popularised by conservative commentators), idiotic, etc. Literally.....every.....single......thing. So that's "How To Be Tolerant Of Other People's Opinions 101" is it?

Hypocrisy: Not unique to either the left or the right, but more commonly these days you get hypocrites accusing others of being hypocritical, which kinda makes my head spin.

Yeah, I'm aware that it's not just the left that are hypocritical, I just don't think that it's a big ask to expect that those who demand "tolerance " and call anyone who doesn't agree with them, racist or bigots, to actually apply the same standards to themselves.

It probably shouldn't get up my nose as much as it does, but It just does.

The racism," I'm better than you " thing could also easily apply to those who consider our indigenous so inferior and fragile that they need to be treated so condescendingly.

As far as bigots go, I've been called a bigot before and it'll probably happen again, the bit that bothers me it that it's usually by some git that expects me to respect their opinion, even though the have no intention of respecting mine.

I like the idea that we can have different opinions, and be allowed to talk about them, but I really hate it when when people like Roz Ward, Souttephomasane ( spelling?), and Gillian Triggs, want to shut down any opinion that doesn't comply with theirs.

Well I always say everybody has a right to an opinion, but not a right for it to be taken seriously. However I think it's generally true that people shouldn't be personally insulted for their opinion and we're all (me too) guilty of doing that sometimes when we get a bit hot under the collar. The exception I would make to that is when someone is being deliberately ignorant. I think they should forfeit any right to be treated respectfully if they're going to deliberately be an ass. Of course it can be tricky determining whether their ignorance is deliberate or unintentional, but that's where intelligent and respectful debate comes in and you get a chance to change that ignorance.

I don't believe Malcolm Roberts, for example, is a "bad person". But he's ignorant. It's a complete mystery to me why he clings to it so dearly but heck it's there in abundance. I don't actually think Pauline Hanson is an inherently bad person either, but again she has shown through some of her political comments that she is quite ignorant of a number of issues. That's all a great pity because as they have grown in popularity, sensible debate continues to be distorted.

Alex Jones though? Well he crosses way over the line and just needs to lie down a few times a week on a couch and talk to a really good psychologist. His opinions really are garbage, and that's not being bigoted.

Marty & FT, a couple of weeks ago the majority of media thought the very idea that Trump could be elected was laughable....well keep laughing.

The Austrian elections were just run and according to the Press, "a resounding defeat of the Right Wing opposition".

They must be kidding, this is the exact Left Media B/S I have been calling out. 20 years ago a Right wing Party would have sent shock waves with anything near 10% of the vote in most prominent Euro countries, the vote came in at 53% win over 47%.

47%! That is not a resounding defeat, it is a message that almost half of the people have major issues with the current state of the country. Next we will see what Italy has to say.

We now see Trump distancing himself from many of his promises

Wow, now there's a first in politics, I am shocked.

There are one or two bright spots to him winning and the ditching of the TPP is definitely one.

I was highly amused throughout the campaign that it was rarely bought up by the very same people who were against it so vocally before Trump also supported it's ending.

He doesn't take advice from the State department.

The same State Department responsible for the mess the World's in currently, good news then.

I don't believe Malcolm Roberts, Pauline Hanson, Trump.....

Is this all you and a couple of others can do. eg: pick out the very worst people you can find to attach them to your target to bully them into social guilt?

Are you not capable of informed debate about the actual issues that have put these people into prominence, well actually the answer is no, that's why they are now in prominent positions.

Your constant attacking rather than understanding is actually empowering them further, you are defeating yourself.

Is this all you and a couple of others can do. eg: pick out the very worst people you can find to attach them to your target to bully them into social guilt?

So, your response starts by being condescending and accusatory, but without any really meaningful content?

Are you not capable of informed debate about the actual issues that have put these people into prominence, well actually the answer is no, that's why they are now in prominent positions.

Then you continue with a personal accusation of incapability, touched with a tinge of sarcasm to sink the boot in.

Your constant attacking rather than understanding is actually empowering them further, you are defeating yourself.

Then you continue that accusatory theme without even asking me to elaborate on my reasons. I'm more than happy to do so with specific examples and in fact generally on these forums I do give specific examples. But that depends on the point I'm making.

I read your whole post above - not just the bit directed at me. It is completely bereft of any actual meaningful and well-constructed content aside from throwing stones at people generally, which if I'm not mistaken, is pretty much what you just accused me of.

Alex Jones though? Well he crosses way over the line and just needs to lie down a few times a week on a couch and talk to a really good psychologist. His opinions really are garbage, and that's not being bigoted.

Pardon my ignorance, but who's Alex Jones?

Pardon my ignorance, but who's Alex Jones?

American radio show host and conspiracy theorist. His main - some would say his only - theme is pretty much that everything in the world is a government conspiracy.

9/11 was an inside job

Chemtrails

Moon landings were faked

Sandy Hook elementary school shooting was a government conspiracy faked by child actors

He actually has quite an audience. Over 2 million listeners a week. And as difficult as it is to believe, he's certainly not a leftie, nor are his audience. He hates the left, as they are responsible, through the government, for much of this.