Time to Arm Up in the UK

Cosmick

Like most things we "sort" people by - racial appearance etc - sexual orientation is really a non-issue. Apparently in Greece in ancient times homosexuality was not only tolerated but encouraged. Blokes would shag each other until marriage, when they happily switched their attention to their wife. I guess it cut down on unwanted pregnancy.

Personally I don't find blokes attractive, but I have no problem at all with those who do enjoying all the same rights as I do. Including raising children.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blokes would shag each other until marriage, when they happily switched their attention to their wife. I guess it cut down on unwanted pregnancy.nah saves on alimony or somthin neil

I went to the cinema and watched a film by mistake when I was about 12 or 13 years old.

It was called 'Satyricon'. . by Fellini. . . . .it was an education, sort of. . .although I left before the end as I couldn't really see any story in it, I got bored as thought it was supposed to be an adventure film like Jason and the Argonauts. . . . later on in life I saw ZULU in surround sound. . .THAT was much better. . . .'FRONT RANK FIRE !' . . .etc. . . Brill.

Bex, I am the same in that I don't like to see guys kissing. Funny but I don't mind women kissing.

But Octave is right and this is a problem inside our heads. So we need to work on our attitude and not make the gays feel bad. Apparently they have a very high suicide rate anyway and I guess this is partly from the disapproval of mainstream society.

Regardless of how you feel about it, they exist and at a much higher rate than bex's figures. If you do any serious social Psychology or work with counselling etc or young people with training /education you will see it's effects and life generally is far more difficult for them and sometimes will result in their death. It's happening in Chetnya right now. It has been common down through history and quite reliably documented. You don't just relate physically with people to procreate, though certain churches push that line. Mutual grooming and more is common amongst animals who don't get their ideas form a book and have no concept of an overall morality. We do sometimes put our values on animals too as well as other humans. Forced predatory sex is exploitation and is hardly a good thing, in a civilised society, even though you could establish a good business model around it on a sound capitalist base.

Australia's attitudes have changed a lot in 50 years or so, when it was a criminal offence, and poofter bashing was a sport. We still have a long way to go to be a "reasonable, fair open and tolerant" society. Nev

Someone who is b-ggered must have shown symptoms that made this a commonplace term that everyone understood. Was it a prison term originally? Was it the way they walked? Or the way they behaved after such an experience? How did a word describing such a specific condition come to have such widespread useage in Australia, but not say in the USA? Is it as commonly used in the Old Dart?

There is a chilling video of ISIS killing homosexuals by throwing them off a flat 3 story roof where they apparently held their "trials"..

I like the word "buggered". It means lots of things according to context. How can you ascribe a sexual meaning when somebody says some item was buggered? To me it just means it was broken or worn out or otherwise rooted.

People who swear excessively have a slow functioning brain and can't find the right word so while they are trying to get their words arranged in their head, they chuck numerous swear words in to fill the gaps in brain function. Nev

And of course, sometimes the use of 'Invective' can be due to a poor command of English by immigrant workers, whose native tongue is not English.

Rather amusing anecdote from late last year, during a busy shopping day in an 'Aldi' supermarket, there was an announcement on the Public address system in the crowded store.

A heavily accented voice said :

'I needing a helpful in back doorway. I am cannot emptying full f*cking lorry on my self'

This comment produced much mirth amongst us customers . . .Mind you, fair play to the bloke. .His English was a lot better than my Polish ! ! !

Here is a link to a podcast I regularly listen to call the Allusionist, it is about words. This episode is called "Detonating the C bomb", it explores why some swear words are considered worse than others and how this has changed over time.

Just a warning though, this podcast does not shy away from using these words many many times. This definitely needs to be listened to with headphones.

Remember YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Allusionist 4: Detonating the C-Bomb

I think the point has already been made that many English towns used to have a "Cuntgrope Lane" where the ladies of the night plied their trade... so some words have become "worse" over time. It's all to do with the sensibilities of the time.

I've read a few novels about the Romans from different authors, where the characters go calling each other "cunnus", so I reckon that one's been around a while.

The "N-bomb" is arguably worse these days, and if you watch Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" you'll cop it over a hundred times. Mind you, for the time that the movie was set, the word was probably not only in common use, but more descriptive than perjorative.

'I needing a helpful in back doorway. I am cannot emptying full f*cking lorry on my self'

Gold!!

I used to hang around with a few Croats in my younger days. When a mate would roll home a bit late, his wife would sternly ask "What in the hell have you been??"