GRIPES

Phil Perry

You'd have to be pretty far gone to need implants. There are a lot of adjustments available to the good ones. The more you use them the better you will adapt. . The usual loss is in the high frequencies.   Nev

• Like 1

My ' deafness ' is industrial. 

I hear the tap dripping,  the deep rumbling noises .

I can't hear cicadas,  the cat meowing or even small birds chirping. TV has to be loud , then I put in my ears.

Turn that TV down low , I can hear the wife talking .

I wonder how long & what was the question she asked .

spacesailor

• Like 1

Well thanks for your responses everyone.

My ears are as expected for my age.

High frequencies roll off sharply at 1.5KHz. I cannot hear the fire brigade pager when it goes off but I have a wife who can yell at me when it does.

I have decided to spend up........ later. They offered me a fortnight free trial but they also admit it might take months to get accustomed to the noise.

I am just concerned that wearing hearing aids might drive me nuts before I get used to them.

You will be surprised what you CAN hear when you use them. It's adjusted to YOUR individual situation where you are most deficient. . Not over the  whole range.; .  Very high tech.   PS they don't stand out very much visually and saves you constantly saying I'm Deaf, Not STUPID.  Nev

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

I am just concerned that wearing hearing aids might drive me nuts before I get used to them.

hopefully they have Bluetooth for music, and of course can turn them off at will.
these two features are envied by us young folk.... so many uses during boring meetings

• Like 1

I have moulded earpieces. The audiologist placed paste in my ear to make a mould of my ear, and the earpiece was tailor-made. This should be a positive, but they cause my ears to itch constantly, and it becomes frustrating. Also it blocks normal sound, and when I speak, it causes the sound to be relayed through the bone, similar to placing your fingers in your ears and speaking.

I have " stereo " hearing aids & before I paid $100 for the upgraded ' remote ' , I had to pull then out , whenever I went into a noisy environment, ' supermarkets are very noisy. 

Now I try not to wear them as I get ear infections .

spacesailor

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Now I try not to wear them as I get ear infections .

Like it or not, no matter how much we wash and disinfect ourselves, we are constantly secreting foodstuffs for microorganisms whose job it is to dispose of the muck. It's all OK if the microorganisms are the ones that have evolved to live with us in a symbiotic relationship, but when foreigners arrive, that's when you need disinfection, which results in the baby being thrown out with the bathwater.

• Like 1

On 28/5/2024 at 12:52 PM, old man emu said:

I feel sorry for buskers. It's a time-honoured practice for a busker (street performer in PC-ese) to put down a hat and for people to toss in a coin. Who has coins now to do that? Do street performers have those portable card readers so that the appreciative can "tap 'n' go"?

Won’t be long and the homeless will have them too.

2 minutes ago, red750 said:

When these beggars approach you inn the street, now you have the answer - "I don't carry cash any more."

You do still have to make a show of patting down your pockets before saying you don't have any cash.    Actually, at least around here, the donation currency tends to be food which I think is a good thing.  I am assuming you can't trade an apple for drugs.

• Like 1

I haven't been in the CBD for a number of years, but in places like Degraves St, off Flinders St, you could be approached by someone with their hand out, and if you didn't give them something, they would follow you, abusing you. If you did give them something, they would say it's not enough.

• Sad 1

Recently I had a bloke approach me in a car park asking for money. He said he lost his job and needed cash for some groceries. About 40 metres away from where we were standing, Coles has a food donation bin where shoppers can donate food to the needy. The food in the bin doesn't go off to a charity; it's there for needy people and the homeless to take straight out of the bin. The way he was talking gave me the impression he was full of BS and was trying to scrounge money for drugs. He seemed too agitated to be an alcoholic looking for grog money. I told him I was a pensioner and didn't have spare cash to give away (all true) and then he went away.

• Like 1

I recall a time where I was shocked to see a beggar in the streets of Melbourne.. No doubt they were around,m but not many of them. On my return to Aus  in 2003 (21 years ago!!) how things had changes, in the seven short years I was away, they were everywhere and some were  seen selling The Big Issue- something imported from London.

Seems the wealthier society gets, the poorer the societ is for it. My gripe is (I think the same as Burce's);l in a society such as hours (collectively, UK, USA, Australia, Europe), we can afford to house and treat the homeless - we choose not to because corporate charity from the government is far more important, apparently.

• Sad 1

The beggars down here tend to sit quietly with a handwritten sign asking for money.

Maybe they realize that's the most effective method of not being moved on by Mr Plod and garner more sympathy than bothering people. 

Gripe: Social Media algorithms.

I've been watching the Trump trial via YouTube videos, waiting to see what the verdict would be. Now I know, I am less interested in much to do with the Orange One. My next point of interest will occur on 8 July (7 July New York date) when the sentence is handed down. Until then I'm not much interested in that circus. 

However, because I have been watching that sort of video, the YouTube algorithm keeps throwing them onto my selection list. I wonder what it takes to have the algorithm stop sniffing them out and bringing them to my attention like a pet cat presenting its human with a dead bird.

9 minutes ago, octave said:

You can click on the 3 dots to the right of the description and select "not interested" or "don't recommend this channel"

Couldn't join the dots, but I did try the list of classes of topics at the top of the screen and that should get me a better selection.

Thinking uses lots of energy.. We tend to try to do things  the EASIEST way possible. ie take a side  on a reaction rather than seek more info and delay the decision.  THAT fits how we evolved.  Nev .

i