GRIPES

Phil Perry

I'm  far from a prude but I don't think it adds much to most serious conversations.. I don't think I've used it on this forum except I'll Beef hooked when a was speaking in Irish.. I think you could go through life without having to use it. I don't think I've heard my eldest son swear but the youngest one makes up for him..  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

50 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I don't think I've heard my eldest son swear but the youngest one makes up for him.

You don't use that word, not does your eldest, but your youngest does. Right or wrong, I think that transition from avoidance to regular usage shows how our language changes. Surely you can remember when "bloody" was a swearword. 

• Like 2

We got a hiding, just for talking in class!! Two cuts of the cane! Extreme provocation, such as indulging in something smutty, got you six cuts of the cane! The teachers of the 1950's were nothing short of child abusers! I cannot remember a period of any more than a couple days in primary school, where I wasn't being caned!

• Sad 1

Well, I  recall sliding down the railing instead of politely using the stairs in high school. That got me four of the best - probably because the deputy headmaster was a short buggah. He blended into the crowd and got a surprise when I bowled him head over tit at the bottom of the stairs.

I never thought it was child abuse. It was a badge of honour at the time and I haven't suffered long term psychological damage, as far as I can tell.

• Informative 1

Psssst You have, but your best friends won't tell you. No I jest.. As a "just out" Teacher I was posted to the Schools in Western Sydney where other teachers wouldn't stay or in some cases even go into the room. Never had any trouble with any kid. The worst Kids are in the Posh Schools. Their MUM's think they are angels whose Poo doesn't smell.   Nev

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

nomadpete

I presume you didn't get ' hospitalised ' much at all .

In my school life I've seen lots of brutality. 

Blnding . Ruptured eardrums . & , Broken bones were commonplace .

Not a lot of ' education ' , but you learnt to duck very quickly .

16 hours ago, spacesailor said:

nomadpete

I presume you didn't get ' hospitalised ' much at all .

In my school life I've seen lots of brutality. 

Blnding . Ruptured eardrums . & , Broken bones were commonplace .

Not a lot of ' education ' , but you learnt to duck very quickly .

I understand your point Spacey. And you clearly  had a bad bunch at your school.

Such abuse is abhorrent. However, our society now calls moderate discipline the same as that which you experienced. So now, all firm discipline has been  prohibited and many kids grow up without any concept of being held accountable for their actions.

• Agree 1

Yes

Taking that big stick , away from those demobbed Xmilitary people . Was good . They had seen cruelty at the highest 

In war .

Putting them in schools with young children should have never have been allowed .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 22/07/2024 at 4:55 PM, old man emu said:

What is "swearing" and what is using words that were once rude or offended the hearer's feelings.

You've got to look at out use of the word "fuck". It only has one form in text, but vocalisation gives it context and from that meaning.

Many years ago my boss had a cassette tape with all the different uses of the F word and its context. It was done well in that documentary style of commentary.

• Informative 1

When I was at Uni, a senior student explained the endocrine system to me, including the feedback loops, using "fuck" as noun, verb adjective and adverb. Never mentioned the name of the hormone involved at all.  It was a perfectly concise and detailed explanation.

• Informative 1

By the end of my policing career, which involved working on the street, hearing the F-bomb dropped, either in a conversational tone or whilst being yelled at and having my breeding and intellect questioned by a pissed idiot, I couldn't see the bombing as sufficient to bring a person before the Court for "Offensive language". To me the word was a basic element of everyday speech.

I do know that female police exploded when they heard the C-word. I didn't like it either because I felt that it was a terribly derogatory word. Of course I used it myself on occasion, like when a frozen nut on a bolt refused to move and the nut either stripped its corners, or the bolt itself failed. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

When I met my current partner, I hardly swore. Not because I was a goody two-shoes, but just because I rarely heard the words in use except the odd movie or odd persom coming across some mishap The only time I heard searing regularly post secondary school was my ex-finacee's sister who was going through a mid-life crisis (yes, women get them, too) and wanting to be cool interweaved shit with every day parlance, and she had 4 young kids at the time. I noticed the people she hung out with were of similar behaviour - but shit that was about it,, I don't even remember then using the C word (as in "crap", not that C word).

But, these days, I swear like a trooper - but only when angry or frustrated. Since I joined banking, everyone uses the F bomb and the like in normal parlance amongst peers they know will not take offence, though the C word is still rare. My old manager of about 7 years ago, however, used the C word regulalry, but I always thought it was quite derogatory and unwarranted. My son uses the F word in regular parlance with his mates; my daughter less so.

Language does evolve. Apparently the F word was not vulgar many years ago.

I heard something in London I haven't heard for years.. Amongst a group of young-ans with thick Aussie accents, one of them blurted, "they call all go and get f'ed".. Brought a wry smile to my face.

• Informative 1

It seems that comedians these days cannot undertake a performance without resorting to expletives, from Billy Connelly to Rosie Jones, the female comedian with cerebral palsy. I've seen her on Live at the Apollo a couple of times. With her dialect (Jerry will know it), she pronounces the "F" word to rhyme with BOOK. She talks about breaking into a famous actor's home, "And I fooked him."  Comedians like Jack Benny, Red Skelton, Jerry Lewis, etc, never resorted to profanity.

I have to confess that I resort to the "F" word when things go wrong, traffic lights go red on me, etc., and if someone really pisses me off, I'll call them a f***ing little c*nt. (From the safe isolation of my car, by the way. )

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I’ve never liked swearing and although I may mutter a word or two under my breath to myself when I’m doing something that’s not going right, I never swear in conversation.. I’m not offended by others swearing and even my kids do at times and also my wife. She never used to swear but these days when she’s angry or talking to some of her friends she swears like a trooper. That really irritates me, especially if it’s directed at me. I think I must be a bit odd, but then a lot depends on context. An Irish site manager I knew made sentences twice as long as they needed to be by making every second word a variation of ‘f..k’, but it was such a natural part of his conversation that it seemed quite normal. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

“——!”

(The Great Australian Adjective.)

[For The Bulletin.] 11 Dec 1897

The sunburnt —— stockman stood

And, in a dismal —— mood,

Apostrophised his —— cuddy;

“The —— nag’s no —— good,

He couldn’t earn his —— food —

A regular —— brumby,

——!”

He jumped across the —— horse

And cantered off, of —— course!

The roads were bad and —— muddy!

Said he: “Well, spare me —— days

The —— Government’s —— ways

Are screamin’ —— funny,

——!”

He rode up hill, down —— dale,

The wind it blew a —— gale,

The creek was high and —— floody,

Said he: “The —— horse must swim,

The same for —— me and him,

It something —— sickenin’,

——!”

He plunged into the —— creek,

The —— horse was —— weak,

The stockman’s face a —— study!

And though the —— horse was drowned

The —— rider reached the ground

Ejaculating: “——!”

“——!”

THE COLONEL.

Orange.

• Like 1

It's done to give dumb people extra time to think of the next word  It adds nothing to the message Farts, excrement and urine Plus genitalia and obesity  dull witted  legitimacy of birth etc are common. derisory  terms. You will never hear the term "Oh Excrement" when someone spills something. . I don't think you "HAVE  to" swear or be proud of it. It is a sign of an "Uncouth Barbarian". Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, old man emu said:

That shows how the standards for the use of those words have changed over the past 50 years.

She's selective. She doesn't swear all the time, and it's usually reserved for when she's talking to certain friends. I think it's mostly a performance, but why she thinks she needs to put on a show beats me.  

• Informative 1