GRIPES

Phil Perry

Today's gripe:  All those dumb influencer posts/articles about "must have" items, like a left-handed ratchet butter knife. They are NOT must have, they are "you might like but don't need". Or those "crazy hack" items that everyone is going mad about, like the gilded birdcage for keeping your toilet rolls in.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 2

OK - here's my gripe:

On 18/07/2024 at 11:32 PM, nomadpete said:

Arnotts ORIGINAL Tim Tams? They have got more hide than Jessie the elephant.

It's a scam. There's no such thing as 'original' Tim Tams, not since that american mob bought the company.

You don't really believe that you can get REAL buscuits from an american soup company?

Oh darn. There I go again, tainting this nice positive thread with a gripe.

OK, here's a positive. It was a great idea to make dark chilli chocolate Tim Tams.

(Cross posted form the Celebrating positives threads).

It's not @nomadpete's thread at all, but I was reading this article (turn of javascript to read it): https://www.theage.com.au/national/more-than-20-craft-brewers-have-fizzed-out-in-the-past-year-what-s-happening-20240701-p5jq7r.html

In the article, it is claimed that two brewers control 90% of the beer market in Australia. Both are Japanese: Asahi and Lion.

And at the same time, ACCC allows lock in/lock out clauses foisted on pubs by the two brewers and doesn't see that as distoring competition?

And WTF is FIRB thinking allowing this stuff. Will have to read the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Act to work out what discretion they have to block such ship happening.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

My best mate from high-school had a son who became a jetstar pilot with his dad's help. Then he and a couple of other pilots bought a boutique brewery in Cairns and left the flying business. Gosh I hope they are financially ok.The dad has died so I can't just ask him.

• Informative 2

My gripe today is those magazines which offer part of something on the cover, but you have to keep buying is to complete the object.

There is one out at the moment on the Lancaster Bomber. Issue 1 $4.99. Issue 2 $12.99 Issue 3 onwards $21.99 each. Total 130 issues. Details and video here.

buildlancaster.thumb.jpg.9714e2483ea13a582d73eaa460a1c860.jpg

• Sad 1

The  magazine one's cost are: Issue 1 $4.99. Issue 2 $12.99 Issue 3 onwards $21.99 each. Total 130 issues = $2832.70 over 32 months. And you've got to wonder about a mob named hachette part works.

Border Models 1/32 Lancaster available in Australia for $799. This is supposed to be the bee's knees.

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/border-model-1-32-avro-lancaster-b.-mki-iii-w-full?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoJa2BhBPEiwA0l0ImIkVjQYuLeSF3MAQqOBHfXtOyOZuEuWmxlHIXZ6NGAyUIaVpTIgWUxoCkaAQAvD_BwE

66cm x 97cm (or 66cm x 28cm with outer wings removed). Highly detailed RR Merlin XX (for B.Mk.1) or Packard V-1650-1 Merlin 28 (for B.Mk.III). Internal canopy framing. Dropped flaps. Removable outboard wing sections for ease of display. WWII era fabric covered elevators. European theatre radiators and nacelle intakes. Optional early & late tailwheels, unweighted or weighted (with full bomb load) main wheels, H2s Radar, 500lb (UK & USA), 1000lb, 4000lb “Cookie” and SBC bombs, FN.20 or FN.120 rear turret with optional cut away perspex, early & late bomb aimer’s blisters & windows. Optional dummy engine blocks so you don’t need to assemble complete engines to build model. Early DH.5/40 (needle) & late A5/138 (paddle) type propellers & spinners.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Smart TV can zoom through the commercials by recording the program your watching,  so when you make the tea & popcorn . You go back to the part you 

didn't see , then fast forward through those adds .

Untill you catchup .

spacesailor

3 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Why not make a wooden model?

Any comparison of today's scale model plastic kits to those produced in the past is mind-boggling. The level of detail in modern kits is one thing, but the accuracy of the fit is something else.  In the past one needed a tube of modeling putty to fill the gap between, say, fuselage halves. Nowadays they align with 99.9% accuracy. And the detail provided for interiors is incredible.

That's why that Lancaster kit I referred to is so expensive. I would describe the final result of its assembly as being of museum quality. It makes a big model as well.  In 1:72 scale dimensions are  Length: 295 mm. Wingspan: 428 mm, so in 1:32 it would be a tad over twice that big.

• Informative 1

Wingspan   971.55 mm

Length         667.5 mm

Height           192  mm   landing gear down

Diecast metal and plastic.

Engines start realistically and individually, by remote controller

Operating undercarraige and lights

Removable cockpit canopy and fuselage top showing detailed crew stations.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I've got a model kit of the Endeavour still in the box. It was given to me as a gift in 1995 and I think it was around the $100 mark back then. I see that models the same scale are around $450 these days. I never got to make a start on it; it's sat in the box for almost 30 years.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

At long last I did what I knew I shouldn't. 

I let this tablet update itself, ( after 2 years ) , now I'm fighting to make sense of of these unwanted

" improvements "  . Who would use a split keyboard! .

QWERT on the left of screen & YUIOP on the right .

A ' cog ' that brings up " Samsung keyboard " settings. 

No way to remove it yet . But it will have to go . as my finger muscle memory keeps touching it , then have to leave page to deleat unwanted , just to select this page again . A pain . Not haveing a " go back " button on that ' setting ' page .

spacesailor

• Sad 1