Did you know?

red750

Going to the supermarket after dark this evening, and first, a cat ran across the road about 20m ahead  of me, I just saw some movement as it reached the opposite kerb. Then two streets further on a small possum ran slowly across the road. I had to swerve to miss it.

In the old days, all we had to worry about was drunk drivers. These days, we have to worry about stoned drivers. I remember an old joke when we were about 18 (4 0 years ago), "why drink and drive when you can take drugs and fly?".

(for the record, I have never taken an illegal drug).

I have no idea what it has to do with the above two posts, but that memory (is a conscious memory a thought?) just popped into my head..

Maybe we need a fleeting thoughts thread.

• Like 1

Jerry,

I can tell from experience that the "pot " stoned driver is generally far safer than a pissed or ice drugged one.

They tend to drive slowly and not aggressively.

In all my years,  I have never seen a violent or  aggro pot smoker. Nor had my emergency nurse brother but he had a lot of aggressive pissed ones and ice users. If they suspect any drug use that's not pot, they immediately called 3 security guards. Sometimes they even drove through the ER doors, expecting immediate care.

Even worse was giving life saving Narcain for a OD,  after their partner has driven through the doors, only for the patient to immediately wake up and start punching or magically find a secreted knife and start slashing. Hence now at least two guards are used to hold down the patient. The third is ready to help and a spare nurse has a strong sedative ready if needed.

The drunk, opiate or Ice user are the most dangerous type to give medical care. 

Here is Australia we now have medical cannabis but it's more expensive than black market. Additionally we have issues with police testing as the test can not show impairment only consumption possibly a week earlier. They are now looking at changing the laws as unimpaired medical users can loose their licence and jobs.

• Informative 2

Fine. I agree especially about 'harder' recreational drugs.

Except - many pot smokers are liable to turn schizophrenic or paranoid delusional. This dangerous side effect is well documented.

Sure, most doped people are spaced out. But what about the rest?

The rest of people you mean?  I agree.

Maybe instead of the technology for detecting that molecule of THC that you smoked 2 weeks ago, the cops should bring back an ability test.  Make the driver reverse park behind the cop car.

That should pull up anyone under the influence plus plenty of sober people who shouldn't be behind the wheel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

10 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

the cops should bring back an ability test

Sounds good in theory, but how are you going to get an ice user to comply with any sort of instruction? After 40 years of RBT, alcohol intoxicated drivers know that once pulled up, they are "gone", and will comply with directions, and some may do so with a mouthful of abuse.

You've got to wonder why, in a country like ours, so many people have to resort to the use of drugs "recreationally".

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

The ball-point pen was inspired by kids playing marbles?

In 1930, a Hungarian inventor observed children playing with marbles in a puddle, noticing that the marbles left a trail of water in their wake. That's how the idea came about: why not use a ball-shaped metal nib for writing? This is how the pen was born.

László József Biro shared his idea with his brother György, a chemist, and together they began researching and experimenting to create a new type of pen based on this concept. Finally, they found the perfect combination: a viscous ink and a tip with a small ball that rotated freely, preventing the ink from drying out and controlling its flow. They presented their invention at the Budapest International Fair in 1931 and patented it in 1938, although they did not market it immediately. With the start of World War II, the brothers emigrated to Argentina, where they founded a company in a garage. Although they were initially unsuccessful due to the high cost of the product, they secured a contract with the British Air Force, which boosted their popularity. In 1943, they licensed their invention to Eversharp Faber in the United States for $2 million.

In 1950, Marcel Bich acquired the rights and, on the recommendation of an advertising expert, dropped the "h" from his surname and founded the company BICGroup. In that year, they launched the first BIC Cristal, one of the most perfect designs ever created, of which more than 20 million units are sold every day around the world. Since 1953, more than 100 billion BIC Cristals have been manufactured, making it the best-selling pen of all time.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

• 3 weeks later...

We went to see the Animals a couple of weeks back, and John Steel, the Animals original drummer from the 1960's, is still fit and well, and still drumming with the band, at age 83.

His performance on the drums was unbelievable. He even got up and gave a talk about the early days of Eric Burdon and the Animals.

https://the-shortlisted.co.uk/john-steel-animals-interview/

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 21/07/2024 at 12:13 AM, red750 said:

Ringo Starr is the oldest rock and roll star alive, turning 84 this year.

Really?  What about Keith Richards, he looks about 250...  (in actual fact he's only 80, I know)

• Haha 1

Can someone tell me which social media app "hashtag something something" comes from, and what does it mean?

I'm reading a book by Ben Elton, the writer of several TV comedy shows and author of book, titled Identity Crisis  and there are constant references to these things. 

For my next question I have to provide some background,

The story in the book is based reactions to the murder of a person initially described as a woman, but in fact was a transexual. Early on in the story, before the fact that the deceased was identified as a transexual, the social media blows up about attacks on women. One of the hashtags mentioned is #NotOK. I suspect that it is a fictional element of the book, not a real one.

Can you translate that hashtag for me, please? In other words what is the effect of that hashtag appearing on someone's "X" connection. (See, I've no clue at all about the wonders of "X".)

The hashtag will link to any posts related to the title of the hashtag. In Xcrement there is an area on the right of the screen showing which topics are trending and a lot of these are preceded by a hashtag. You can enter a hashtag followed by whatever you seek in the search bar as well. In the attached screen grab below, the hashtag #AFLPiesTigers will bring up everything related to their match. I saw one this morning in the trending section that was #DonaldtheDodger. I didn't click on it but assumed it was all about Trump dodging death, but maybe it was just all about Trump in general.

ry.png

• Informative 1

Another one trending this morning is #HarrisButtgieg2024, related to speculation Harris might pick Pete Buttgieg as a running partner for VP.

df.png

Clicking on the hashtag brings up stuff like this

ds.png

Edited by willedoo

The hashtag will locate all posts that contain that hashtag. In the last screen grab, you can see people can attach multiple hashtags to their posts. They are a link of sorts, but general and not specific to one post.

• Like 1