Did you know?

red750

It wouldn't link to this site but if you were posting about the renovation on X, the hashtag would be a way other X users could post a link to your X account or the account of anyone else using that hashtag to talk about you and/or the renovation. If the postings on X about the renovations became popular, people would spread that hashtag around and #OmesRenovation would be trending.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Did you pull the wings OFF Flies when you were a kid?   Nev

I did - it turns them into walks. I tried to impress a girl I was keen on at primary school by showing her how I'd filled my inkwell up to the brim with dead flies I'd caught. I don't know why but she wasn't impressed.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, willedoo said:

I did - it turns them into walks. I tried to impress a girl I was keen on at primary school by showing her how I'd filled my inkwell up to the brim with dead flies I'd caught. I don't know why but she wasn't impressed.

Well, it was worth a try. Hopefully your technique improved in time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rgmwa said:

Well, it was worth a try. Hopefully your technique improved in time.

I don't think it did. I chased that girl until I was 14 to no avail. Maybe the dead flies were a bridge too far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did change tactics slightly. The following year I gave up on the inkwell and just threw them on the floor and squashed them with my foot. That didn't impress her either. I think she was a bit stuck up. There weren't too many to choose from in those small population areas (girls, that is, flies were in abundance)

• Like 1

Every second person is a girl and they are expensive to run. I stuck to motor bikes and model aeroplanes. They didn't attract women with the exception of my wife of 50 years  who ended up riding motor bikes well. I like to think she had a good teacher Nev.

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, red750 said:

Tasmania has some of the most questionable place names? Click to enlarge:

Tassienames.thumb.jpg.f73dbc5b08f17b1a75cfb2ded89f2bc6.jpg

That's one thing I always found amusing about the place. Nowhere Else is exactly that. I almost bought a place at Paradise once but didn't. I could have spent the rest of my life living in Paradise. I like Penguin and the big penguin statue.

• Like 1

Motorists in one Aussie jurisdiction are being warned they could get stung double if they're caught breaching road rules on roadside cameras, with staff now scanning to ensure their vehicle registration is up to date.

In the ACT this week, transport officials warned drivers caught committing road offences by the territory's road safety camera network will also now have their vehicle checked to see if its rego is current.

From Tuesday, staff monitoring the entire road safety camera network will now be checking vehicle registration among those caught in breach of an offence, including through speed cameras, mobile device detection cameras and red-light cameras.

"Vehicle registration is a legal requirement and crucial for maintaining road safety. Without registration and insurance, the driver of the vehicle may be personally liable for any injuries caused to themselves and others," The ACT government said in a statement.

Access Canberra, the government's division that manages services and transactions, will check rego details when processing other traffic infringements caught on camera. Officials have warned motorists the fine for driving an unregistered vehicle is a whopping $700.

This means that, should a camera detect a driver doing the wrong thing on the road, and that driver was also travelling in an unregistered vehicle, they will get stung for both infringements. "If your vehicle has been unregistered for more than 12 months, it will require a roadworthy inspection. You will also need to visit an Access Canberra Service Centre to register the vehicle," the government said.

"The key focus of infringements in the first few months will be for driving unregistered, with additional infringements for also driving uninsured to then be implemented."

The ACT Government-operated cameras operate in addition to police, it said. ACT Policing will continue to target those "who choose to speed and put road users at risk".

The announcement comes as roadside cameras around the country are fitted with enhanced technology to detect more offences than ever before, as authorities grapple with how best to manage the soaring level of fatalities on our roads.

Transport authorities in Tasmania recently announced a similar move.

• Informative 1

I thought it would've been a no-brainer to check vehicle registration when examining roadside camera photos. While they're at it, they could use facial recognition to check up on felons travelling around the country - rather than waiting until they actually commit a major crime - and then have the Police asking for help with info from private vehicle dashcams, or home or building CCTV recordings, to catch them.

Here's a chuckle. My stepdaughters partner smashed his Falcon wagon last year when a bloke turned in front of him at a set of lights. He was pretty morose about the whole exercise, because he'd just spent weeks finding a pristine, used BA Falcon wagon (he loves them, because they can haul his drum kit around) - and he'd only just picked up this great, one-owner, perfect condition Falcon wagon.

As it was, the insurance company wrote it off, and allowed him to buy the wreck - and he got something like $4000 insurance payout - and he repaired the Falcon himself for about $2500, and ended up with spare cash.

So, feeling sorry for him, I lent him one of my utes - a 2004, 2WD Hilux - while he got the Falcon back on the road.

He works some horrible shift work hours as a train controller - and on one of the homeward stretches from work, at around 8:00PM, he gets flashed by a speed camera, as he comes over the top of Greenmount Hill in my ute - a known mobile camera spot, and one he should've been aware of.

Anyway - he gets the infringement in the mail - along with the photographic proof, and luckily it was only a minor infringement of $100 for doing between 1 - 9kmh over the limit (it was 80kmh where he was snapped).

But here's the chuckle - the perfectly clear photo shows him holding on to, and using his phone!! No-one in the traffic infringement dept even checked the photo, it must all be automated!!

Needless to say, he paid the $100 very quickly, before anyone in authority woke up, and sent him an infringement for $1000! - the fine for using a phone whilst driving!! 😮

Edited by onetrack
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Legendary television current affairs journalist George Negus was never lost for words during his celebrated career, but he has now been virtually silenced by the ravages of Alzheimer's disease.

Negus, one of the original 60 Minutes reporters when the show launched in Australia, was diagnosed with dementia about five years ago and since late 2021 has been living in an aged care facility in Sydney. 

• Informative 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3