Don't get me wrong here, But I LIKE Donald Trump.

Phil Perry

Donald Trump's recent admission that his speeches and answers to questions are larded with digressions and off-ramps into odd and often irrelevant anecdotes is a sign that he knows that he is slipping mentally, suggests one of his biographers who has known him for years.

In a column for the Guardian, Chris McGreal wrote that Trump's excuse at a speech that he "weaves" stories together to make a greater point should raise suspicions that he is— as McGreal put it — "losing it."

Noting the former president, who is making a third bid for the Oval Office, recently proclaimed, "I do the weave. You know what the weave is? I’ll talk about, like, nine different things that they all come back brilliantly together. And it’s like friends of mine that are like English professors, they say: ‘It’s the most brilliant thing I’ve ever seen,’” the Guardian columnist turned to Trump biographer Tim O'Brien for his opinion on what is really at play.

“The reason he’s now offering these convoluted explanations of his speech patterns in his public appearances is because he’s hyper-aware that people have noted that he’s making even less sense than he used to,” O'Brien explained. “What we’re seeing now is a reflection of someone who’s very troubled and very desperate.”

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

He weaves stories together simply because he's the greatest BS-artist, the world has ever seen. Every single statement he makes is unable to be verified with provable facts.

Yet he continues to make statements and claims that can never be verified. Even his lawsuits can't get off the ground, simply because they're based on total, fact-deficient BS.

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

Every single statement he makes is unable to be verified with provable facts.

Are you sure about that?  I read most of what he has said is able to be verified with provable facts... to be BS :-)

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen said when Trump plays the air accordion, it's a tell tale sign he's lying:

“When you see the accordion hands start going, what that means is that he’s lying,” Cohen, who was Trump’s longtime fixer and personal attorney, told CNN’s Jim Acosta on Tuesday. “It’s a tell with Donald. Anytime that the accordion hands start, that means that he’s not telling the truth.”

• Like 1

Trump threatens Harris donors with jail over election 'skullduggery'

Donald Trump has warned Kamala Harris's campaign donors that they will not escape his retribution if they play a role in a 2024 election 'steal'.

The GOP candidate promised he would not allow a repeat of the 'rampant Cheating and Skullduggery' he claims cost him the White House in 2020, and threatened unprecedented legal action against those who try.

Posting on X and his own Truth Social channel under the heading 'cease and desist' he said 'lawyers, political operatives, donors, illegal voters, and corrupt election officials' would all find themselves targeted.

The swipe at donors came as Trump's Democrat rival reported raising a whopping $230 million more than Trump in campaign contributions during the month of August.
'Those involved in unscrupulous behavior will be sought out, caught, and prosecuted at levels, unfortunately, never seen before in our Country,' Trump wrote.

Three days before he faces Harris for their first presidential debate Trump repeated his charge that she covered-up Joe Biden's cognitive decline and promised a constitutional amendment to prevent it happening again.

Speaking at a campaign rally in Mosinee, Wisconsin, he said he supports 'modifying' the 25th Amendment to target any US vice president who 'lies or engages in a conspiracy to cover up the incapacity of the president of the United States'.

'If you do that with a coverup of the president of the United States, it's grounds for impeachment immediately and removal from office, because that's what they did,' he told his supporters.

Harris has denied misleading voters about the President's condition and insisted last month she was right to claim the 81-year-old was fit to serve out a second term.

'He has the intelligence, the commitment and the judgment and disposition that I think the American people rightly deserve in their president,' she told CNN's Dana Bash in her only sit-down interview since securing the Democrats' nomination.

The 25th amendment deals mainly with the circumstances in which a sitting president can be removed from office between elections and has little to say on the removal of a vice-president.

But constitutional amendments require the support from the legislatures of 38 of the country's 50 states, while the Republicans control just 28.

A VP can remove his or her boss with the support of half the cabinet and Harris resisted pressure from leading Republicans to wield the knife in the aftermath of Biden's disastrous debate performance against Trump at the end of June.

• Informative 2

'Writing's on the wall': Trump seen giving up on many states he hoped to win against Biden

Donald Trump's campaign map has shrunk dramatically since Kamala Harris took over the Democratic ticket.

The former president and his advisers once envisioned an ambitious electoral map that provided paths to the White House through Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Virginia, but nearly all of his TV advertising budget is concentrated on the same states that were crucial to the 2020 election – Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, reported CNN.

"All of Trump’s rallies and Vance’s public appearances [since the end of July] have come in those seven Midwest and Sun Belt battlegrounds," the network reported. "Trump’s plans over the next two days follow that pattern: an event with police Friday in North Carolina, where the first ballots have been scheduled to start going out that day, and a rally in the middle of Wisconsin on Saturday."

Harris more than doubled Trump's fundraising haul last month, her campaign aides say, and the GOP nominee's campaign has seemingly shifted their strategy to battling in those swing states rather than expanding their map, although they insist that was their strategy all along.

“The seven battleground states have always been our focus and we are still maintaining an offensive posture in these nontraditional battleground states,” said Trump spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt. “Nothing has changed as far as how we view the map, and the Democrats are still playing on defense, as evidenced by Kamala’s post-Labor Day visit to blue New Hampshire.”

However, Republicans in the states that Trump has abandoned say that polling shows he's on track to lose those states even worse than he did in 2020.

“When Joe Biden was in the race, at that point, I actually thought it was a likely scenario that Trump would win New Hampshire,” said Mike Dennehy, a longtime political strategist from the Granite State. “If the election were held today, Trump would lose by 6 to 8 points.”

Trump campaign in Minnesota shortly after the president ended his campaign and turned it over to Harris, but that's the last event he's held in a Democratic-leaning state since then, and the vice president's choice of Gov. Tim Walz as her running mate has seemingly shut the door on his chances of winning there.

“I warned all my West and East Coast buddies: you better be ready for Walz,” said Amy Koch, a former Minnesota state Senate majority leader who now advises GOP candidates. “They don’t know how to deal with that kind of Midwest ‘aw shucks’ authenticity.”

However, a Trump campaign adviser insists those early efforts in states they've since abandoned forced the Harris campaign to spend money on states Democrats have traditionally won.

“We view that as a good thing,” the adviser said.

Republicans have matched Democratic spending in Pennsylvania, which is viewed as possibly the most crucial state in the election, and in Georgia, but Democrats have reserved twice as much airtime in Michigan, three times in Wisconsin and nearly four times in Arizona, and their spending in Nevada has dwarfed the GOP's.

“The writing is on the wall,” said Amy Tarkanian, a former chairwoman of the Nevada GOP.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Yeah - the Democrats may not want  to do a repeat of Bill Shoten with respect to "it's in the bag" against Morrison:  https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/donald-trump-leads-kamala-harris-by-a-point-in-fresh-national-poll-20240909-p5k8wn.html

I remember watching the Shorten election count on the TV. At Labor campaign headquarters people were popping the champagne before the polls were closed. Three quarters of an hour later those same people were wandering around in a state of shell shock.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

He was just ahead of his time.

I really liked the policies Bill brought to the election but unfortunately the majority didn't.

However with the housing crisis people are starting to look at what he suggested and realise it had merit.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

My point was more the Harris camp shouldn't take anything for granted; a day in politics is a long time and Shorten did manage to rip defeat from the clutches of victory. A few on here were indicating they thought he was a bit smarmy and conceited, which never bodes well.

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

He was just ahead of his time.

I really liked the policies Bill brought to the election but unfortunately the majority didn't.

However with the housing crisis people are starting to look at what he suggested and realise it had merit.

I think the policies were tested before and received a resouiding "don't take it to the polls"... I thiink part of him being politically unsafe was the same as when Keating said while Howard's the leader of the Libs, Labor will never lose power.. and conceit set in.. until Labor lost to Howard.

Although it is clear the majority rejected him at the ballot box, I wonder how much of it was the press didn't like his policies and swayed the electorate without putting all the facts before the electorate?

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

I liked his idea of including dental in Medicare coverage. We're a first world country with bad teeth.

Now a policy of the Greens, I understand. But don't fret; the UK has dental on teh NHS, but no dentist provides an NHS service (wwell, only to kids and the elderly).

59 minutes ago, Litespeed said:

Sadly 

Bill is probably the best PM we never had.

He was principled and brave.

Sounds like the other Bill... Hayden...

• Informative 1

So I had a thought today,

Is there any of trumps team, that has remained from the first term.
seems like all the big names (Gulianie, Pence etc..) have all left....

which would be a very telling sign, how many of us would see a manager that constantly turns over staff as an effective leader?

• Like 2

Yeah - well I wouldn't hang around if Trump spurred a crown on to hang me, either.

Steve Bannon may well still be lurking in the background from his prison cell (if he is still in there).

If this was any other country (maybe except for China) no-one could give a flying f!ck and we;d all shrug our shoulders and remark they (population) will get what they deserve. How on earth did the most powerful country on earth rise with such a huge portion of the population as clear numpties when it comes to choosing their political leaders? Something tells me money, corporations, and greed that sponsor them has something to do with it.

• Agree 3

The book I'm reading at the moment deals with the goings on during the first months of Trump's presidency. One fact that has been made is that Trump's did a Bradbury to win. He wasn't in the race for political reason. He was in it for the publicity. His win was mainly due to the media harping on about Hillary Clinton's use of a non-government email server and a conspiracy that she mishandled sensitive government material through it. That idea was investigated by the FBI and laid to rest a few months before the election, but about a fortnight before the election, some previously unseen emails in another person's email account came to light and the head of the FBI announced that an investigation into them was opening. That blew up Clinton's chances, resulting in Trump winning by a Bradbury.

Trump really didn't want the work of being president. He just gloried in the prestige. He brought in people from the business world who had no experience in running the country, and those, like Bannon, and Trump' daughter and son-in-law battled each other for influence over Trump. Meanwhile, Trump's main concern related to his TV experience. All he was interested in was "the ratings". He wouldn't read briefing papers, nor listen to detail explanations of situations.

Luckily, for Believers and the rest, "In God We Trust" must have worked because the country didn't implode politically nor economically during those four years.

2 hours ago, Litespeed said:

Lots of bad shit happened 

I agree with that, but the survival of the USA had more to do with the immenseness of the economy than anything Trump did. Its internal politics went downhill, but it they are slogging their way back to normality.

About the only thing Trump can lay claim to is that the USA didn't enter any NEW wars during his presidency.

He was pushed into that by his daughter and son-in-law who were making deals with a Saudi prince, who was putting himself in line for king as his father was on the way to join Allah. Trump didn't care about the victims of the use of poisonous gas by Syria. Why should he. Their deaths didn't affect him personally, and for Trump it is always all about him.

Just channel flicking a moment ago, stopped on sky news for 5 minutes.

I couldn't stay watching. They might as well have their MAGA hats on at work.

What is seen of the debate shows Trump losing his sh!t and Kamala coming off as a real grown up in the room. They are already blaming abc for being democrat staffers with a TV channel.

America needs a hard reset. Turn it off and back on again.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1