Don't get me wrong here, But I LIKE Donald Trump.

Phil Perry

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that the latest round of kicking a dog whilst it is down relates to a firearm registered to Donald and located in Florida. As he is a convicted felon, it is a Federal offence for him to possess a firearm. Apparently he did surrender two that were in New York, but the third one is still outstanding. FFS. I think that he has a bit more on his mind at the moment than thinking about a firearm that is 1000 miles away. Surely some common sense must prevail.

9 hours ago, Marty_d said:

What, so he deserves more leeway than other convicted felons with firearms? Why?

No leeway, just common sense. You have to consider the spirit of the law requiring surrender of weapons. The idea must have been to prevent felons from direct access to them. Most felons impacted by the law would normally remain on their own local area, not have residences hundreds of miles away from their small patch of turf. He did hand over the two guns that were located in his New York residence where he had ready access to them. He did advise the parole officer that there was a gun in Florida. How simple would it be now for him to have a lackey in Florida take the firearm to the police for surrender? 

People in the USA have the idea that the only way to deal with a breach of the law is immediate incarceration. Incarceration is the final rung of the "punishment" ladder. Sensible law enforcement means  looking at circumstances before deciding on a course of action. First I would consider if the person showed a tendency to violence that could result in the use of a firearm. In Trump's case here, how accessible is the firearm? Has Trump tried to deny the existence of the firearm? Considering the matters imploding in on him, would the possession of the firearm be uppermost in his thoughts, any more than the possession of a Callaway No. 9 wood? Can the surrender be made easily? 

Sure, he could be charged with the offence, and on an early "Guilty" plea, would only need to have the conviction recorded without further penalty. Apart from satisfying a craving for revenge of some people, would a more severe punishment protect and benefit society?

as a firearm owner I disagree,

the laws and restrictions are absolute.
weapons are surrendered immediately. its his responsibility.

14 days is a reasonable time frame - over that charge him for firearm offences

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, spenaroo said:

the laws and restrictions are absolute. weapons are surrendered immediately

Taking that to the extreme, he should have been arrested the minute the first "Guilty" verdict was announced by the jury, as then he was a convicted felon and had possession of three guns.

As I said, policing involves the application of common sense by humans, not the "If ...., then ..." of robocops.

17 minutes ago, spenaroo said:

note my next sentence......

That's true, but if you were getting belted left, right and centre with really serious matters that were bringing your world down on your head, would you be able to remember to put the toilet seat down as demanded by you missus?

In which case should you really be in possession of the firearms in that case regardless?

The biggest problem with Gun control in the USA is that its seen as a right, not a privilege 

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

That's true, but if you were getting belted left, right and centre with really serious matters that were bringing your world down on your head, would you be able to remember to put the toilet seat down as demanded by you missus?

Absolutely! You have to get your priorities right. 

• Haha 1

IF the world was coming down on your head the toilet seat would probably go down by itself. I not only put it down. I spray it with that Pink alcohol and wipe it with a fresh tissue. . My wife does plenty of things for ME..  .   Nev

1 hour ago, spenaroo said:

In which case should you really be in possession of the firearms in that case regardless?

He was in lawful possession of the firearms up until the first moment the word "guilty" was uttered by the jury foreperson. 

"Golden Rule." "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets" (Matthew 7:12).

The quality of mercy is not strained;
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven

(Merchant of Venice Act IV)

Based on  your recent comments, would you tell your drinking buddy to suck it up if he complained of being booked for 45 kph in a school zone at 3:57 pm? Obedience to speed limits is a matter of strict liability. 

The problem a lot of people have is that they are prepared to call down hellfire and brimstone upon others, but squeal and whine when called to account for their own digressions.

You HAVE broken a LAW when you commit the act and ignorance of it is NO excuse. Till your crime has "come to light"   no one is any the wiser but you've still broken the LAW at the time of commission.. Your Honour, the Prosecution will prove that the person before you Known as Mr B Smith etc, DID on a certain date commit the Offence with which he is charged and so forth.  Nev

• Like 1

one of the first things we are instructed in regards to firearms is that if you are undergoing a period of stress, or difficulty.

remove them from your possession.

we have no issue acknowledging this with flying - while we do it to relieve everyday stress - we dont fly while under the effects of stress.

and would expect to encourage and prevent others doing so as well

The ruling is normally to present the weapons to the police as soon as viable. which is normally a 14 day period (but the wording means if anything happens during the 14 days while in your possession [like they get stolen]you are liable - unless you can prove it wasn't viable to do it earlier.)

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Based on  your recent comments, would you tell your drinking buddy to suck it up if he complained of being booked for 45 kph in a school zone at 3:57 pm? Obedience to speed limits is a matter of strict liability. 

yeah 100% if it is exceeding the set limit, in the set time by the law. its an offence.
unfortunate, but those are the rules that everyone is to abide by. 

Edited by spenaroo

I think that fairness means the law applies equally to everyone.

If the felon is an unemployed man living in a trailer park and he owns a gun which he's left at his mother's trailer park across town, would the judge give him more than 14 days leeway to go get it?

There is no difference.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I'm glad I had compassion and common sense when I was one of Her Majesty's constables. By the way, I also frequently had the highest arrest and charge rate for my Patrol. At the same time I had the respect of the community from the Rebels to the pillars of the community.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, old man emu said:

I'm glad I had compassion and common sense when I was one of Her Majesty's constables. By the way, I also frequently had the highest arrest and charge rate for my Patrol. At the same time I had the respect of the community from the Rebels to the pillars of the community.

I don't doubt that you did.  Just wondering why you're wasting any sympathy on a rapist, sociopathic, habitually lying, convicted felon.  One who has his own jet, so flying down to Florida and back to pick up the gun would be easier for him than travelling across town would be for our hypothetical trailer park felon.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

Just wondering why you're wasting any sympathy

Because I believe that it is correct to hate what a person does, but not correct to hate the person. Trump will get his comeuppance on 7 July, and there will be more in the coming years, but what his haters are doing reminds me of the way the mobs defiled Mussolini's body after they had lynched him, and the way Cromwell's body was exhumed, put on trial and beheaded. 

Being compassionate is laudable but if the law says Trump has to hand the gun in, I don’t see any need for compassion or leniency. The same would apply to any other person found guilty. 

16 minutes ago, rgmwa said:

if the law says Trump has to hand the gun in, I don’t see any need for compassion or leniency.

I have no doubt that the gun will be surrendered. My original comment was really an objection to the way every Trump-hater is seizing on every indiscretion and demanding immediate punishment. I've even seen photos aimed at taking away any semblance of his personal dignity. Sure, Trump disregarded the Law, but those others seem to disregard the spirit of the Law.

OME, you obviously don't see all the video clips of Donald that I see on a daily basis. He is the most despicable excuse for a human being I have seen, and he does it day in and day out.

• Agree 2