Federal Election

willedoo

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was speaking to a high school teacher recently who told me that there had been a change of direction in the syllabus. It is redirecting focus to the basic 3 R's. Don't forget that it takes a child 13 years to progress from Kindy to HSC, so overall improvement in standards will take a generation.

Practical abilities of students leaving High School are greatly dependent on the variety of courses that a school can provide both in terms of economic return on teacher utilization and the logistics of timetabling for a whole group of students. At my school, way back when, it was not possible to do what was called Technical Drawing and the more "academically' aimed subjects. As a result, one of my classmates say that he could not carry on studying engineering because logistics forced him to do Latin instead of Tech Drawing.

Perhaps we should review this idea of progression through school by age and look at progression through completion of fields of study. But, on reflection, that won't work because you have to start with no skill of knowledge and continue to build as you progress. You can't put a starter in the same class as a finisher and teach the same thing. Another way would be to make the 3 R's compulsory, then specialize in a course. But what 13 -year-old has the knowledge of what they want to become before they have been exposed to the possibilities?

No one knows what sort of jobs will be run by humans in the future. What we need to concentrate on is the skills that AI definitely won't be able to do, and which will be applicable to almost any job. Creativity, self-motivated learning, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, resilience, empathy, communication, teamwork. If my kids grow up with those, I wouldn't care if they couldn't spell or draw a house. My mistake was thinking I had to get a job straight out of school, so I only made it to year 11. I'd like my kids to take their time before locking into a career, or even more than one.

It's bad enough that we let our young people drive at 17 and drink (legally) at 18, without making them decide on their life's career at 14. That might have been alright in the 19th Century, and for the half the 20th, but not now. The Information Age has created so many different paths to follow.

However, I am sensing that there is still that divide between those who profit from applying knowledge and those who choose other lifestyles. Have you noticed (in the metropolitan areas) the proliferation of service occupations - lawn mowers, dog washers, house cleaners, fitness trainers - which do the mundane chores for those whose lives are too full of other things to do? But it does not seem that those who provide these service jobs are the down-trodden. They seem happy to have abandoned the pressures that the people they service have to suffer.

Nobody is master of anything. There is never a time when you know everything about anything. There is always more to learn No kid is in a position to decide on what they will do for their whole life when they are 13. They know little of what most jobs entail and some of those jobs can become obsolete You have strong interests perhaps and even exceptional abilities "Gifted"? in some things. People who follow those paths in those circumstances often excel but may not be well paid but will be doing something they love and doing it exceptionally well because they apply them selves hard Ie they are fully motivated.. Musicians and artists ballet dancers and actors as examples.. Nev

Now we have kids at school who are going to be politicians. It is a career path. The Labor candidate for Flyn, which is my electorate, is 28 years old and he has stood in two elections and maybe 3. I wouldn't vote for him, but then again I wouldn't vote for the incumbent LNP member. Sadly too many did vote LNP.

I believe Malcolm Turnbull declared while at school that he would become PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that it is proven that all adverse political effects are the Labor party's fault it is surely time that opposition parties were dispensed with. This would save time and money and be even more successful than Queensland's unicameral system (sorry Ms Pile o'shit)!

Don't worry about the lack of arguments in parliament, the LNP can be trusted to generate plenty of that $@## internally. We may even turn the economic corner and produce similar results to PRC, N Korea and Vietnam. How good is That?

Well it stopped labors death taxes.

So you swallowed the lies then.

Labor didn't have any form of death taxes / inheritance tax as a policy. It was a complete lie spread by conservative politicians (George Christensen and Pauline Hanson among them). Even slightly more sensible LNP politicians like Josh Frydenberg helped spread it on social media.

Heard on the radio today that the retail sector is now in recession. Reserve Bank's casting doubt on the tax cuts and saying the government needs to stimulate the economy with infrastructure spending to stop us heading into full recession.

Hang on, have I missed something here? Wasn't scomo telling us last month that the Libs have delivered us a strong economy and they are the only ones to trust with it? Oh dear, could politicians be speaking with forked tongue; surely not. If that's the Liberal version of a strong economy, I'd hate to see a weak one. It's not the only bad number recently; no wonder the government has been a bit quiet since May 18th.. It might yet have been a good election to lose for the Labor Party.

Still, I doubt they give a sh*t that they've been caught out telling porkies to the Australian people. They've got three more years and that's all that matters to most pollies.

The amusing bit will be the election in three years time and listening to the Libs blame all their woes on the demon Labor (after nine years in government).

I'm willing to bet they'll still be doing that as it's firmly entrenched in their DNA.

Just the retail sector so far. There was comment that with interest rate cuts, those with mortgages use the extra cash saved to pump into their mortgage rather than spend it. So there's a limit to how much the cuts will stimulate the economy. Sounds like the government has the pressure on them to do something fairly quickly. Even talk of a GFC style direct cash grant to move things a bit.

If things do go a bit more pear shaped, it will be embarrassing for the Libs to preside over the first recession in twenty nine years, especially after six years at the helm.

You might have noticed that the Libs and Co NEVER mention the GFC .That's a convenient omission The REST of the WORLD say WE did the best job there of anyone getting through it.. with Rudd and Swanny. The LieNP have also DOUBLED the deficit and removed the up till then LIMIT so they could.,so it wasn't as if it escaped their notice. Best Money Managers, My @X$e. We are NOW back in the BLACK.!!. just before the election. Now that wouldn't be a lie would it with this years deficit at 4.7 billion and next years PROJECTED to be a slight surplus. They will have plenty of inadequate excuses , but" it's labor's fault" won't cut it.anymore.. Nev

Maybe they should ask Kev and Wayne for some advice.

I wasn't a big fan of Swanny at the time, but hindsight is a wonderful educator. Even though I was one who received the $900, I thought it was an odd way to do things. But when you think about it, it's probably the fastest way to give the economy a kick if time is of the essence. Now it's even one of the options the Reserve is talking about as they try to steer the current jokers in the right direction.

Maybe Swanny wasn't so bad after all.

There's no doubt their actions gave us the world's best result in 2008. Yes there might be a couple of schools with a new hall they didn't need, and yes there were a couple of untrained insulation installers who put nails through wires (when you open the government trough you'll get some dodgy operators), but on the whole it WORKED.

I tried reading Swanny's book though - only got about 4 pages before I gave up. The man might be a financial genius but a gripping author he's not!

• 2 weeks later...