The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

Yes they are trying to destroy the CSIRO's credibility. Nev

If CSIRO told a Senate committee that they did not have the expertise to determine the economics of any sort of power generation, then they should have not been required to work on, and submit a report. Then they went to a consultant who didn't have the expertise either and who basically did a "cut and paste" job.

I would only criticise the CSIRO for not being up front with whoever  whomever commissioned the report, and telling that person that it wasn't in the CSIRO's area of expertise. Easy for me to say that, but I bet there was an element of not biting the hand that feeds you.

What Senator Fawcett has indicated that there are so many different items of data that have to be considered in this problem that the process with deliver very many answers depending on the number of variables and the weight given to each of those variables. Crystal ball gazing and reading the entrails of a sacrificed goat could produce equally convincing results as the most rigorous application of human and Artificial Intelligence.

• Like 2

To get the right answer would require the Politics be taken out of it. The fact that OUR money and not private capital is required tells you all you need to know . ANY GRID supplied power has cost and reliability  issues. More diverse sources provide more reliability. WHERE  is the yellow cake  going to be processed into fuel for the reactors?  WE don't have the means to do it. Its an UNclear proposal with more questions than answers.  People can GET their own Nuclear power from the SUN and it's FREE. Why trust the DODGY ones?  They wouldn't know $#!t from clay.  The POWER they seek is  to be in POWER. and reduce your power to be free.  Nev

• Agree 1

One the one hand, conservationists protest at the destruction of our flora and fauna due to deforestation, yet on the other hand, they demand the construction of wind turbines to produce renewable energy. But the construction of wind turbine facilities can result in the deforestation of land that supports our unique flora and fauna.

This video discusses what is happening and proposed in Queensland to enable the construction of turbine "factories" in virgin forests. 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

One the one hand, conservationists protest at the destruction of our flora and fauna due to deforestation, yet on the other hand, they demand the construction of wind turbines to produce renewable energy.

I haven't seen much deforestation  relating to wind turbines. Especially when compared to the deforestation caused by open cut strip coal mines, or the massive clearing done to make way for coal seam gas wells. Every csg well requires a cleared access road and there are around 32,000 of them in Qld alone (that was the planned number)

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

32 minutes ago, facthunter said:

WHY would they cut down forest to do that when there's plenty of bare Hills and Ridges? 

The thing with Queensland is that the hills and ridges they want to put the windmills on are heavily forested, so lots of vegetation has to go. Also they need to cut access roads to the sites so maintenance crews can reach them.

I'm sure that the blades could be airlifted in, but what about the support structure and all the cabling needed to transmit the generated electricity? That has to be carried on at ground level. 

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

The blades are not  that heavy. A chopper could  carry them.

Nev, the blades on some of the farms like Cooper's Gap are 70 metres long. A Mi-26 would be the only one with any chance of lifting one.

• Informative 1

14 hours ago, red750 said:

You would think it would have potential on economy of scale alone. The 320 MW supply contract they mention is the equivalent of around 100 wind turbines of the approximate size they are using these days.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why use words like PLASTERING and "prime agricultural Land? You can erect them at a height that animals can graze underneath or suitable crops grown that don't like a lot of sun.. What you show there is good but more expensive than necessary. The bottom image might have extra risks with vehicles being so close.. Solar suites Australia.  Nev

• Informative 2

Where is most electricity used?

Urban areas. 

What do urban areas have in abundance?

Rooftops.

What other valuable uses are there for the great majority of that rooftop space?

Can't think of any.

It seems to me to be absolutely foolish not to take advantage of the square kilometres of rooftop space in urban areas that is available for the installation of solar panels.  Just think of the savings in the amount of cabling that is needed to go 30 to 40 metres from the rooftop to ground level compared to the amount needed to transmit it from beyond the Black Stump.

It might shock Octave, but I've gone solar electricity generation. I got myself a small, solar battery conditioner that I have connected to the battery of my bike to keep it fully charged. I even got a mate of mine to get one for a spare car he keeps at one of his country town houses. He should have known about it as he was a candidate for the Greens in the last Federal election. 

• Like 2

My local area has just come under that "free solar panel" thing for home owners. My sister owns my place as part of her land holding. She's had quotes for solar before, but being on the pension, she couldn't afford it and at our ages, she's not really interested. Luckily my contribution to her finances helps a lot in paying the electricity bill. Apart from the usual domestic electricity needs, we also need to run a bore pump and pressurisation unit. They suck up the juice.

• Informative 2