The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

Fixing windmills is a dying art today, and parts are no longer available for many models. Solar pumps have been killing the windmills off.

Plus, hanging off a tiny platform 6, 8 or 10 metres off the ground, whilst trying to repair windmill components, is not a lot of fun, especially as you get older.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get the whole exporting electricity thing.  The transmission losses and the cost of the undersea cable would be massive.

Instead of one massive solar farm, why not several VERY LARGE solar farms within reasonable reach of population centres in Australia?  We can export energy in the form of green hydrogen, or better still, build renewable generation in or close off-shore to the countries you want to export to.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

why not several VERY LARGE solar farms within reasonable reach of population centres in Australia?

I fully agree with you. When I heard about the plan to export electricity to Asia, I immediately thought, 'There's another example of our resources getting flogged off overseas, like Howard's LPG deal, and Australians will be left out. 

And this I don't get:  expected to create 14,000 jobs. Obviously there will be a lot of construction jobs, but once things are up and running, the numbers required to monitor operations and to carry out maintenance wouldn't be anywhere near that number.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our political ineptitude knows no bounds.

Australia produces a shit-ton of LNG.  80% of which is exported overseas.  But locally we have a shortage.

We now find ourselves in the absurd situation of planning to build a billion-dollar IMPORT facility for LNG so we can buy our own gas back from other countries at much higher prices than we got for it.

Meanwhile Woodside (remember them?  Spying on PNG and stealing their resources) are getting approval for yet another LNG mine so they can sell that overseas and give a big F U to Australia too.  This despite climate scientists saying the absolute last thing we should be doing is extracting more LNG.

When are the states and federal government going to stand up to these criminals?  I thought the whole purpose of the government was to look out for the interests of the PEOPLE of Australia, not corporations which somehow have never paid MRRT on LNG and pretty much give it away to other countries?

I think there needs to be an immediate moratorium on any new LNG production.  Contracts for existing overseas sales should be reviewed and cancelled if not in the interests of Australia, and ANY contract for selling gas overseas should be subject to domestic needs being fully catered for at or below the price charged to overseas purchasers.  Oh, and pay your goddamn tax.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

A former W.A. Govt - a Liberal one, believe it or not - actually organised a deal (in 1984) with W.A.'s initial major N.W. Shelf gasfields owners, that ensured 15% of the gas produced from the N.W. Shelf was reserved for W.A. customers.

Interestingly, this was never legislated as Law in W.A. Govt Statutes, it was simply a contractual agreement between the W.A. Govt and the gas producing global corporations.

However, now the Govt is working on legislating this policy into an Act, and ensuring that it applies to all gas producers, current and future. Of course, the corporations advisers are trying to find a way around this forthcoming "Govt BS".

Maybe some Eastern States pollies just need to have a read up on W.A.'s gas production and agreements. While the East and West Coast are certainly different gas producer and gas user setups, there's still plenty of common ground, to ensure that the W.A. style of gas production reservation for domestic use, is applied to the East Coast gas production.

https://www.allens.com.au/insights-news/insights/2024/08/major-changes-proposed-to-wa-domestic-gas-policy/

• Like 1