The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

11 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Just pointing out that plantation trees are regenerative, so at least they don't deplete a finite resource (coal) and I suspect they produce far less methane during production (mining), and less toxins during burning. As such would be a 'least bad' option.

Yes, absolutely agree. My point was the article was suggesting the process was carbon neutral, which I don't buy - Carbon offestting - yes, which can't be said about coal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

In Europe

Is almost like saying, "In th world..."

Each country has its different standards, both within the EU and outside of it. Cyprus environmental standards, for example, are way more lax than France, and they are within the EU.. And then there are European countries outside the EU, and that includes Russia.

So, a bit more info and possibly a reference or two wouldn't go astray.

• Agree 1

Australia's largest windfarm is officially switched on to start powering almost a million homes

A wind farm projected to be the largest in the southern hemisphere has officially started creating electricity.

On Friday, the first stage of the Golden Plains Wind Farm – 100km west of Melbourne - began feeding into the grid after weeks of testing the electricity generation and issues with little parts of the stagnant turbines being blown off in strong winds.

GoldenPlainsWindFarm.thumb.jpg.2f076f8b9593361adc1f2c84a2e05120.jpg

Read more here

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

We've spoken about what to do with time-expired wind generator blades. The problem was dealing with the carbon fibre in them. If only there was some other, easier to recycle material from which the blades could be made. Here's an interesting video which shows the use of balsa from seed to blade.